Roach food

Posted by eric on 1/24/2005, 2:13 pm

What are the recipes you guys use for your roaches: Ingredients, how it is prepared and how you serve it? Like dry ground cat food. Do you smash it with a hammer to make it into small pieces and then dust it with calcium and mist it just be for serving them or what. Everyone should leave some kind of message. Thanks as always.

Eric

stittingham@hotmail.com

Posted by Beth on 1/24/2005, 6:40 pm, in reply to "Roach food"

This is what I do for my B.dubia roaches. Since we have a dog & feed her only dry dog food (2 kinds for food & 1 kind for treat). I take an equal portion of the 3 dry dog foods & then put it in a coffee grinder & grind up the food. Then I place the food in a jar for use as needed. The roaches love ground up dog food & ground up dry cat food. I also give them apples, oranges, carrots, vegetables, etc. several times a week. Be sure to take out the veggies/fruit when old & mold started. It is not good to feed moldy food.

I do admit to feeding more apples & oranges as opposed to other fruit because of the availability but the roaches love it & are doing fine.

For water, I use watersorb crystals as that works great. No babies drown, no messy watery mess in the roach bin, etc. etc.

My roaches are thriving on this type of feeding & watering. All food is placed in shallow food containers. One for the dog food mix, one for the fruits/veggies & one for the water crystals stuff.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

DillyPickles2@yahoo.com

Posted by Beth on 1/24/2005, 7:50 pm, in reply to "Re: Roach food"

Let me add.....roach food also depends on the species of roaches you have.....well....it does to some extent. Some are more protein dependent than others & some are more veggie/fruit dependent. The dubias that I have are more fruit/veggie dependent & will abort egg cases if not fed enough fruit, etc