Best Temps for Hissers?

I'm trying to prevent any more litters from my possible hybrids, so I'm going to be pulling Dad and Junior out to start, and eventually will separate out all the male nymphs from the females. I'd like to have a small tank in my bedroom with them since I think it'll be fun to have them nearby to observe and handle. However, the bedroom ranges in temperature right now from 60 degrees at night (I love to sleep when it's cold :) ) to 95 during the day. I know they can handle temps like that, but what I don't know is if it's good for them to be exposed to such extreme fluctuations or to be kept too cold or too hot for an extended period of time. I do have a UTH I could use when it gets cold, I'm just worried I might forget to turn it off when it gets hot. Thoughts?

• 11 months later...

I'm trying to prevent any more litters from my possible hybrids, so I'm going to be pulling Dad and Junior out to start, and eventually will separate out all the male nymphs from the females. I'd like to have a small tank in my bedroom with them since I think it'll be fun to have them nearby to observe and handle. However, the bedroom ranges in temperature right now from 60 degrees at night (I love to sleep when it's cold smile.gif ) to 95 during the day. I know they can handle temps like that, but what I don't know is if it's good for them to be exposed to such extreme fluctuations or to be kept too cold or too hot for an extended period of time. I do have a UTH I could use when it gets cold, I'm just worried I might forget to turn it off when it gets hot. Thoughts?

Do you have a heating pad under their tank. That worked well for my discoid. It needs to be just big enough to fit on one end of the tank so they can have both a warm and cool side.

Eh, I ended up keeping them all together in the end. I think since they're hybrids they are extremely slow growing (over a year to mature even at 85 degrees) and not many of the nymphs survive. There's only about 25 adults total and the first of the third generation that were just born in the last couple of weeks. In winter I toss a 150 watt light on and heat the entire invert room (8 foot by 5 foot) to between 85 and 90 degrees - saves on electricity and I don't have to worry about buying lots of heat tap!

Eh, I ended up keeping them all together in the end. I think since they're hybrids they are extremely slow growing (over a year to mature even at 85 degrees) and not many of the nymphs survive. There's only about 25 adults total and the first of the third generation that were just born in the last couple of weeks. In winter I toss a 150 watt light on and heat the entire invert room (8 foot by 5 foot) to between 85 and 90 degrees - saves on electricity and I don't have to worry about buying lots of heat tap!

They need the warmth, of coarse. But I was also told they need a cool area to retreat to if it gets too hot.