Goldenrain tree bug report

Alfacuria

I have found a bunch of these near my house next to a golden rain tree and am currently trying to raise them.

Info on what i learned about them so far.

Food: they apparently eat golden rain tree seeds and i have read they also tend to congregate around fruits such as plums, peaches , chinaberry, and apples and i have seen them sucking the juices out of their dead relatives.

Appearance: they have red shoulders and the rest of the body is a bluish black for adults, for nymphs they have reddish abdomens and as they get older they start to develop the wings.

Behavior: they are not known to cannibalize each other when live exceptions include when dead though. they like to congregate together in groups especially under shade.though they have wings they are not normally known to fly. the only times i have seen them fly was when i tried knocking them down from some high position. They are not stink bugs so dont worry about nasty odors being emitted.

Size:they are around a few centimeters in length and a couple of centimeters or less in width

breeding: I have seen some of the golden rain tree bugs i have breeding one particular pair to be connected for now a few days which is surprising. i have yet to see eggs though.

lifespan:i heard they live for a few months to a year especially if they live through the winter months

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=golden+rain+tree+bug&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1420&bih=658&tbm=isch&tbnid=eOib2fn1rne1sM:&imgrefurl=http://www.emergencypestpatrol.com/library_seasonal&docid=VkXlU9bU6siOCM&imgurl=http://www.emergencypestpatrol.com/files/1934711/uploaded/Goldenraintreebug.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=TB3cT__7LYO-2gXg4IzGDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=291&vpy=149&dur=1281&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=129&ty=131&sig=111774406532046043160&page=1&tbnh=138&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:77

I've never heard that common name for them before, and I have to say I don't like it. The goldenrain tree is an introduced ornamental species which has been brought in from Asia while the Red-shouldered Bug, Jadera haematoloma, is a native US species. Based on your descriptions I'm not sure if you realize but only adult insects have wings (with the exception of some mayflies). This means that any of the bugs you have that are fully winged are adults and will no longer grow. I'm pointing this out largely because they do not reach the sizes you have listed in your description. As for flight, they may not do so often during the day but they may fly at night as means of dispersal, so you will want to cover the tank. Stink bugs are not the only insects which can produce an odor: most, if not all, insects are capable of producing defensive chemicals, many of which smell. Not all are unpleasant though. I can't recall if this species does because I have only collected it a few times.

Good luck with your breeding. You may find it helpful to read up on breeding and husbandry methods for milkweed bugs since they are better studied and may share some similarities.

I've never heard that common name for them before, and I have to say I don't like it. The goldenrain tree is an introduced ornamental species which has been brought in from Asia while the Red-shouldered Bug, Jadera haematoloma, is a native US species. Based on your descriptions I'm not sure if you realize but only adult insects have wings (with the exception of some mayflies). This means that any of the bugs you have that are fully winged are adults and will no longer grow. I'm pointing this out largely because they do not reach the sizes you have listed in your description. As for flight, they may not do so often during the day but they may fly at night as means of dispersal, so you will want to cover the tank. Stink bugs are not the only insects which can produce an odor: most, if not all, insects are capable of producing defensive chemicals, many of which smell. Not all are unpleasant though. I can't recall if this species does because I have only collected it a few times.

Good luck with your breeding. You may find it helpful to read up on breeding and husbandry methods for milkweed bugs since they are better studied and may share some similarities.

Hello i heard the name from a bugguide on the net when i tried identifying them so i stuck with it since it made sense but yes red shouldered bug or jadera haematoloma appear to be the correct name. And yes im aware the adult insects only have wings just stating though you could see on the developing nymphs that their wings can be seen being developed . and i must say i have seen a few molt when they already had wings and got a little bigger which is why i stated so and i think i shouldve rephrased the one inch size they are more like a couple or three centimeters though. Thank you too for the information and experience you had with them though i shall try and add what knowledge i gain and add to the report just for keepsakes