When to separate roaches?

Hello folks!

I am breeding dubia roaches for feeding beardies and the like and am wondering at what age of nymph I can separate and start their own bins. Right now I have about 900 females and 200 males breeding. Some of the females were obviously gravid for I have super smalls only a few weeks later! Do I have to wait until the nymphs are at least 1/2 inch or so to start their own bin. I've heard that the new babies need the parents' waste to feed off of and so there is a time wherein they are not able to be on their own.

Thanks

I started to see dubia nymphs wander to eat on their own starting at 3rd instar. I do remember they still stayed net Mom though. Perhaps if you added a few adult males nymphs could eat the frass?

I've got the smallest of nymphs visiting the food bowl (and diving into the ground dog food) from the very beginning. I have to be careful when changing out food since they can hide in it so easily!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks!

I am breeding dubia roaches for feeding beardies and the like and am wondering at what age of nymph I can separate and start their own bins. Right now I have about 900 females and 200 males breeding. Some of the females were obviously gravid for I have super smalls only a few weeks later! Do I have to wait until the nymphs are at least 1/2 inch or so to start their own bin. I've heard that the new babies need the parents' waste to feed off of and so there is a time wherein they are not able to be on their own.

Thanks

The babies do not need the parents and eat the same food - you can separate them anytime.