First post/ new enclosures

seb

Hey everyone,

My name is Sebastian and this is my first post on here. I am experienced in keeping tarantulas and various other insects but am new to roaches. I recently purchased some of each of these to get some colonies going:

Gromphadorhina oblongonota

Eublaberus sp. "Ivory"

Blaberus craniifer "Orin McMonigle"

While they are on their way I made some enclosures that I'd like to share pictures of. I went with the buckets because the seal is air tight, provides roaches with privacy, easy to clean and easy to stack. I like to keep things clean and simple.

All I did was bore five 1" holes around bucket near top. I did this on sides as opposed to top for better circulation/ stack ability. Thanks to a tip from Kyle of roachcrossing.com, I sanded around holes and hot glued on standard screen material. Super easy. I will be filling bottoms with coconut coir substrate and filling with undyed paper egg cartons.

photo1-3.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

Those plastic screens are not a problem? I mean cockroaches can chew through themselves of it. Or am I wrong? I use metal screen at all enclosures because I think they can escape from there if I use plastic ones.

Those plastic screens are not a problem? I mean cockroaches can chew through themselves of it. Or am I wrong? I use metal screen at all enclosures because I think they can escape from there if I use plastic ones.

Not sure. First time keeping roaches. I will keep my eyes on it. I can always switch to metal if I have to.