Hisser male attacking female

Keith

I have a pregnant female Hisser and in the same tank is a mature male Hisser. The male suddenly is hissing very often to the female and head butting her multiple times, almost like he's trying to flip her over. He hisses loudly as this is going on. The female is slightly larger than him, and literally sits there as its happening and doesn't move, he can't move her she is so big and fat! He is wandering around the tank aimlessly when normally he hides most of the day and is peaceful. No other males are in the tank except him, but I've had him for months with them and he never did this before.

Hisser males do irrational things sometimes. XD That being said, my best explanation is that she's in his territory and he is mistaking her for a male and trying to drive her away. It could also be a rather belligerent courtship attempt. And those two explanations are basically opposites!

He can't do much physical harm to her, but if the behavior keeps going on the stress could have a negative effect on her pregnancy. Maybe move her to a different part of the tank and see if that resolves it.

• 5 months later...

I have a pregnant female Hisser and in the same tank is a mature male Hisser. The male suddenly is hissing very often to the female and head butting her multiple times, almost like he's trying to flip her over. He hisses loudly as this is going on. The female is slightly larger than him, and literally sits there as its happening and doesn't move, he can't move her she is so big and fat! He is wandering around the tank aimlessly when normally he hides most of the day and is peaceful. No other males are in the tank except him, but I've had him for months with them and he never did this before.

Is he still bullying her?

No it eventually stopped. I think it was due to them being ready to breed, he mated, but the scent from virgin females probably lingered so he was frustrated at being rejected to mate when he sensed virgin females, even though they weren't virgin anymore.