B.giganteus w/B.cranifer style pronotum

jebbewocky

Also, I want to be clear given my prior topic on hybrids: I keep the two species in two entirely different container in different parts of the room, have two cats, and I'm also given to understand that B.giganteus can't hybridize. Further, I've only had the B.cranifer since September, and all were nymphs at the time. Nowhere near enough time to mature, reproduce, and have an adult B.giganteus x cranifer.

Totally normal. These things pop up in my colonies all the time.

On a related note, I would be inclined to think that the genes for roach characteristics that are found in distantly related species (for example, the pronotum color/pattern of E. decipiens and P. australasiae looks the same; some other things like bright red legs also seem to fall into this category) are the result of the same genes or convergent mutations of those genes.

Totally normal. These things pop up in my colonies all the time.

On a related note, I would be inclined to think that the genes for roach characteristics that are found in distantly related species (for example, the pronotum color/pattern of E. decipiens and P. australasiae looks the same; some other things like bright red legs also seem to fall into this category) are the result of the same genes or convergent mutations of those genes.

Thanks for ^^this^^. I was wondering about this as I see the same thing in my B.giganteus colony.

• 2 weeks later...