The Best Calcium Sources for Red Eared Sliders & Similar Turtles

bronxzoofrank

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20

Red-Eared Sliders, Snapping Turtles, Red-Bellied Turtles, Soft-shelled Turtles, Reeve’s Turtles and the various Side-necks and Snake-necks are among the world’s most popular reptilian pets. While we know much about their care, the importance of calcium in the diet is, judging from the questions I receive on this blog, still not fully realized by all keepers. One feeding tip I received from an animal importer for whom I worked as a boy has served me well throughout my career as a zookeeper, and remains the simplest way to assure adequate calcium intake. Today I’ll review it and some other very useful calcium sources. Read the rest of this article here http://bit.ly/1tUgQkd

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: http://bitly.com/LC8Lbp

Best Regards, Frank

Cuddle bone my friend =) is all you will need along with a healthy diet. Same thing you give birds too sharpen their beaks, that kind of cuddle bone just break apart and remove the hardback of it. I had several alligator snapping turtles, box turtles, and softshells. They all love that cuddle bone. It will float for a while then sink too the bottom. They will eat as needed. Give them a big enough piece that as they eat it will keep the turtles beak trimmed and they dont swallow it whole. It serves 2 purposes calcium and trimming of beaks(and yes turtle beaks lol.)

Cuddle bone my friend =) is all you will need along with a healthy diet. Same thing you give birds too sharpen their beaks, that kind of cuddle bone just break apart and remove the hardback of it. I had several alligator snapping turtles, box turtles, and softshells. They all love that cuddle bone. It will float for a while then sink too the bottom. They will eat as needed. Give them a big enough piece that as they eat it will keep the turtles beak trimmed and they dont swallow it whole. It serves 2 purposes calcium and trimming of beaks(and yes turtle beaks lol.)

Thank you. Can work well, however, in my experience with hundreds of species (zoo caeer, etc), I and others have found that not all turtles will accept and there are some differences between various Ca sources. May be a recent related article in Herpetologica, an abstract should be avail on line if you do not subscribe, best, frank

In most cases humans don't even receive the proper nutritional intake. So that doesn't even cross most peoples mind. They go for 1 thing and think that is good enough. A all around good diet and a vitamin supplement, along with other calcium options(cuddle bone) and UVB lighting should be more than sufficient for a turtle. They survive with parasitic organisms and all kind of things in the wild, I hooked a large female ally snapper while catfishing and i rehabbed it, it pooped acorns for almost 2 weeks. I dewormed it and released to the same creek i captured, made me feel good. =).

But i do agree with you 100% that calcium should be the main concern in a turtles diet, most of their body is calcium based. Even though people say UVB lighting is not necessary for alligator snapping turtles, i still gave my young ones play time in a kiddy pool outside in shaded sun.

I have also heard of people with larger alligator snappers that would inhale cuddle bone, they will stuff a boiled chicken breast or fish fillet with human grade vitamins. Also just another option, i have heard of.