Hisser population control...?

Posted by Hilary on 4/13/2006, 12:14 pm

Hi! I'm very new to the hobby of pet roaches, and I don't actually own any as pets at this time, but I am very seriously considering purchasing some Madagascar hissing cockroaches, because they're so cute and I also like the fact that they're slow-moving.

My question is: How do I prevent my roach population from spiraling out of control!? I know that they're social animals and I wouldn't mind owning, oh, 20 or so roaches in a 30-gallon tank, but I don't want hundreds and hundreds of roaches. And I'm not interesting in purchasing an insectivorous animal to take care of excess roaches.

How do you people (who aren't breeding roaches on purpose) control the population size? Do you collect most of the nymphs and dispose of them?! That seems very mean, although it's not like I'm incapable of squishing bugs. :D

Posted by Dave on 4/13/2006, 1:41 pm, in reply to "Hisser population control...?"

Keep them at room temp and reproduction will be very slow if at all. Exess babies can be sold to your local pet store or given to others with bug interests,schools for class study etc. I raise and sell hissers myself ,if you would like some give me an email and I will contact you,Dave

davegrimm1@yahoo.com

Posted by Allpet Roaches on 4/14/2006, 3:43 am, in reply to "Hisser population control...?"

Hissers do best at low density and would be very happy in a 10-gallon with only 2-3 tankmates. Just because it's possible to cram a ton in a ten does not mean it's the best plan. They grow larger if not overcrowded (of course you'd have to start with young nymphs)and are less likely to experience bad molts or deformities.

Not everyone has luck breeding them (most do).

One option is to buy only males.