New Roaches+ Questioins

I just received some new species from Cape Cod Roaches. The new species were, Gyna centurio, Hemiblabera tenebricosa, and Nauphoeta cinerea. I think they'll make wonderful additions to my collection. However, both the H. tenebricosa, and the G. centurio are incredibly small. They're about the size of fruit flies and I think they're newborn nymphs. I have the H. tenebricosa in a 6 quart container, and the G. centurio are in a 12 quart tall container. I'm worried that the containers are too big, and the nymphs too small, to make finding food easy for the roaches. Should I move them into a smaller enclosure until they get bigger?

(I'll post pictures later, but I have classes I have to get to. You're opinions, experiences, and advice is welcome!)

I had the same problem with the 25 gyna caffrorum I got from cape cod roaches. I put them in a ridiculously big container, and was worried about them finding food since they're so tiny. I basically added a ton of oak leaves to cover most of the floor, that way they could at least have those to eat it finding the vegetables and fruit was a problem. I also put small pieces of baby carrot throughout the container. Honestly, I think they're smart enough to seek out the food, even if the container is quite roomy. Despite the crazy amount of space available (I think they're in a 30 qt) they're molting and finding food just fine.

I agree, they should be able to figure it out as they go. As long as you have leaves and wood in there for them munch on as well, they should be fine.

I just received some new species from Cape Cod Roaches. The new species were, Gyna centurio, Hemiblabera tenebricosa, and Nauphoeta cinerea. I think they'll make wonderful additions to my collection. However, both the H. tenebricosa, and the G. centurio are incredibly small. They're about the size of fruit flies and I think they're newborn nymphs. I have the H. tenebricosa in a 6 quart container, and the G. centurio are in a 12 quart tall container. I'm worried that the containers are too big, and the nymphs too small, to make finding food easy for the roaches. Should I move them into a smaller enclosure until they get bigger?

(I'll post pictures later, but I have classes I have to get to. You're opinions, experiences, and advice is welcome!)

Wait, your H.tenebricosa nymphs are as small as fruit flies? When mine were hatchlings they were much bigger than that. Are you sure they are H.tenebricosa?

Wait, your H.tenebricosa nymphs are as small as fruit flies? When mine were hatchlings they were much bigger than that. Are you sure they are H.tenebricosa?

For H. tenebricosa, that would be an exaggeration. They are still very small, however. The fruit fly comparison is accurate for G. centurio though, as they are about the size of D. melonogaster.

Here is a size comparison for H. tenebricosa compared to a dime:

post-9886-0-83540000-1452909943_thumb.jpg

For H. tenebricosa, that would be an exaggeration. They are still very small, however. The fruit fly comparison is accurate for G. centurio though, as they are about the size of D. melonogaster.

Here is a size comparison for H. tenebricosa compared to a dime:

post-9886-0-83540000-1452909943_thumb.jpg

Ok, that's what I thought. That is one cute nymph! :)