Male Dubia roach color mutation: Rorschach color morph

I was checking up on my Dubia and Discoides roach colonies when I spotted this diamond in the ruff. So far he is the only male of his kind in my colony and until proven otherwise possible out of the entire species for all I know. I've named him Rorschach for obvious reasons and if I successfully breed the trait in his offspring then I will name the breed color strain by the same name.

Anyone else have any interesting Dubia roach color morphs or mutation to share?

post-10247-0-24858000-1465713033_thumb.jpg

post-10247-0-31298000-1465713049_thumb.jpg

post-10247-0-62474700-1465713066_thumb.jpg

post-10247-0-41610500-1465713471_thumb.jpg

Ok I don't know what is going on but apparently when I drag and drop the image of the roach on this forum post they don't show up when I finally click the post button. . .what is going on? I don't know how to upload images on this forum or the beetle forum? Can anyone help me?

No picture is showing up for me. :( From the sound of it you got a really cool roach there, hope you can isolate the morph!

Oops, just saw your second post, getting pictures on the forum currently can be a bit complicated, here's a post I made on one way to do it: http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6242&hl=upload

Oops, just saw your second post, getting pictures on the forum currently can be a bit complicated, here's a post I made on one way to do it: http://www.roachforu...=6242&hl=upload

I wasn't able to post a viewable picture I used Dropbox to upload my photos and aside from that I upload them to instagram and Facebook :/

Oops, just saw your second post, getting pictures on the forum currently can be a bit complicated, here's a post I made on one way to do it: http://www.roachforu...=6242&hl=upload

Nevermind I figure it out through uploading them as files instead of through the image icon.

All you need is a female...

That's the issue, right there! I would leave them in the colony for now. Let them mate with females, so you can at least preserve the gene and re-isolate when you get enough individuals.

That guy is really cool looking i have been trying to work on developing my own strain. The biggest issue with dubia is you have to wait till thier adults to know if it worked. My sugestion is find your 4 largest subadult females so you know they are virgins. Breed those to your male in a seperate enclosure. Raise up the offspring and devide them by gender. When his daughters mature if hes still alive breed him to them and maybe add the best of his adult male offspring. That should lock in his unigue pattern. I would continue to keep the sexes seperate for a year or more to develope a true morph. Thats just me though and how im doing it with my gold its a lil trickier with them though.

That's the issue, right there! I would leave them in the colony for now. Let them mate with females, so you can at least preserve the gene and re-isolate when you get enough individuals.

That is exactly what i have done the rest of the colony already has color morph or color traits that vary from tiger like strips to semi gold morphs.

That guy is really cool looking i have been trying to work on developing my own strain. The biggest issue with dubia is you have to wait till thier adults to know if it worked. My sugestion is find your 4 largest subadult females so you know they are virgins. Breed those to your male in a seperate enclosure. Raise up the offspring and devide them by gender. When his daughters mature if hes still alive breed him to them and maybe add the best of his adult male offspring. That should lock in his unigue pattern. I would continue to keep the sexes seperate for a year or more to develope a true morph. Thats just me though and how im doing it with my gold its a lil trickier with them though.

Thanks for the tips I would be very helpful in the generation to come.

• 5 years later...

I found a male in my colony that looks almost exactly like yours. Only 1 guy so far, I've isolated him with some goldens. Waiting to see what offspring he'll bear later. 

He looks like he's in the process of darkening after the final molt, but he's been this colour and pattern for days.

image.png.4147da9a2198b136b488afabc9a8dd37.png

• Like 1