Ootheca?

I noticed one of my Parcoblatta divisa has matured, and I was wondering if she happens to be just about to lay an ootheca. She's been mature for less than a week, so it's strange to think she'd be laying so soon. I wasn't even aware a male had matured.

post-9886-0-56073300-1466216808_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the terrible picture. Plastic distorts the pic in a strange way, and it was taken in low light with my phone.

I'm going to assume this is an ootheca, so I must ask, how long does it take for it to hatch? Should I move it to another container to avoid it being chewed on?

Yup she's laying an ooth, she'll carry it for a bit until it hardens and then she will deposit it, there is no real need to remove them as I have not noticed any cannibalism of the ootheca in Parcoblatta.

Yup she's laying an ooth, she'll carry it for a bit until it hardens and then she will deposit it, there is no real need to remove them as I have not noticed any cannibalism of the ootheca in Parcoblatta.

Thanks for the info. I assumed it was an ooth. I couldn't find a male anywhere in the container though. Is there an record of parthenogenesis in this species? Could she be laying an infertile ooth? Also, how long does it take for the oothecae to hatch in your experience?

Well unmated females will still lay eggs, just like chickens, so it's probably infertile if there are no adult males in there. Ootheca usually take a couple of months to hatch.

Well unmated females will still lay eggs, just like chickens, so it's probably infertile if there are no adult males in there. Ootheca usually take a couple of months to hatch.

Yeah, that's what I had feared. Hopefully I'll get a male to mature soon so I can mate this species for real!

Yeah, that's what I had feared. Hopefully I'll get a male to mature soon so I can mate this species for real!

I hope so too! :) Let us know when a male matures for you!