Defensive odors of blaberus

I wasn't aware some Blaberus sp possess defensive odors until my colony of B. Fusca matured into adults. The bin itself actually smells quite pleasant from the oak wood placed around the cage, but when disturbed, they give off a horrible smell. I don't even know what to compare it to. When picked up the smell is much worse, and will actually stick to my hand, calling for an immediate hand washing.

When left alone, the smell is not present. But anything more than feeding and a spritz of water triggers the release of the aweful smell.

Has anyone else noticed this defense mechanism? Is it a well known "deterrent" that I'm just not familiar with?

Yeah, my Blaberus hybrids have made that "onion" smell, it's horrid. One of my Byrsotria fumigata female made that musk as well, man it stinks!

Is it stronger then e posticas smell? I dont mind my orange heads smell. Then again i worked as a trash collector and have a rat colony so i may not be the best judge of odors.

Well i think it has to do with the number of adults the ones makeing the most odor and ventilation. I dont use a lid for max air flow when i did mesh lid it held in air a lil more and smell was more prominant.