Hello, Nooby Here

lanny haff

I don't have a colony but I ordered 150 small + medium discoids that should be here in a few days. I plan to use them as feeders for my tarantulas. I have 13 at this time, l raised all from small slings.I have 12 NW+ 1 OW in my collection at this time.I found your site by searching the web looking for roach information. I still need to know what size enclosure I need for my new arrivals. Thanks Lanny

Hey there Lanny, I'm no discoid roach expert, but generally some plastic container with a tight fitting lid will be fine; the size needs to allow a large adult to shed its skin without touching the sides or bottom of the container, as this causes serious or fatal deformities. I would go for something like a 12 Inch Cube or bigger, depending on how much space you have, as this gives them room to keep out of each others way at moulting or egg laying time.

Hi guys thanks for responding. Do u think a 10 gal.aquarum is big enough? I want the let the mediums to grow to adulthood before I start feeding off smaller ones. I'll still use crickets for a while.

Hi guys thanks for responding. Do u think a 10 gal.aquarum is big enough? I want the let the mediums to grow to adulthood before I start feeding off smaller ones. I'll still use crickets for a while.

Yeah, a 10 gallon tank should be big enough for them, just make sure you got the lid on tight. :)

Thanks I'm going to use a screen top but I was under the impression that discoids couldn't climb. Lanny

They can't climb but if any cage decor gets close enough to the lid they can use that to escape, or at least to crawl on the underside of the lid.