Hisser Handling?

I'm new here and looking to get a few roaches to keep as pets. I was wondering about the handling aspect of roach keeping.. I understand completely that they are insects and are not going to be "cuddly" but are they generally ok with being handled? Just kept out and allowed to walk on my lap and hands and such, maybe be patted a little? I was considering hissing roaches but if anyone has any other recommendations for flightless and more docile breeds then please do tell! I DO NOT want a huge colony, just a few to be housed as pets. Thanks! :)

Hissers are one of the best roaches for handling, if you don't want them breeding then I'd just buy all males. They are generally quite calm when held, and they get used to being handled over time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Hissers are one of the best roaches for handling, if you don't want them breeding then I'd just buy all males. They are generally quite calm when held, and they get used to being handled over time. 

Thanks so much!

The only (potential) negative of handling hissers is that they won't hiss as often once they get used to frequent handling. There could be something stress related that leads to a shorter life too, but I've handled lots and lots of hissers and they still seem to live a long healthy life without any issues so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

• Like 1

Hissers are pretty chill, mostly because any you'll buy have been in captivity for quite a few generations. Just let them calmly walk across you or sit in your hand, and most will get used to it pretty quickly. Be sure to keep an eye on them so they don't walk away.

They probably won't enjoy being petted, roaches don't secrete oxytocin (the stuff that makes mammals go 'yes this affection is good I like it') and don't recognize affection, but it won't hurt them to lightly touch them now and then.