Ancaudellia hamifera

Manuel_P

Hi

After looking around for quite some time for these, I finally was able to aquire some of these interesting little roaches.

I really hope they will do well for me.

2017-01-04 17.33.22.jpg

I hope the pic isn't too shitty, I only took the pics with my phone ant these little rascals wouldn't stop moving.

Just wanted to share them with you, because I figured some of you might be interested

• Like 3

Very nice roaches, so jealous right now lol! The Panesthiinae are still extremely rare here in the US, seems they are becoming less rare in Europe though!

The little ones look even more like Macropanesthia nymphs. Here is a pic I took of the tiny ones before putting them in their box.

I can't wait to see the adults! Man, I hope I've got both sexes and they start reproducing well. Now I just have to be patient..

12 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Panesthiinae are still extremely rare here in the US, seems they are becoming less rare in Europe though!

I really hope so, these are all fascinating roaches!

But I've only seen Panesthia sp. for sale a few times in the past years (but as you said, they start popping up here and there now), same goes for Macropanesthia and Ancaudellia (tho these are apparently even harder to find). I've never seen Salganea sp. anywhere, even tho they are apparently in the hobby here..

And if someone has them, they don't want to give any away, if they do, only in trade for other rare species.

2017-01-05 10.03.00.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 2:25 AM, Manuel_P said:

I really hope so, these are all fascinating roaches!

But I've only seen Panesthia sp. for sale a few times in the past years (but as you said, they start popping up here and there now), same goes for Macropanesthia and Ancaudellia (tho these are apparently even harder to find). I've never seen Salganea sp. anywhere, even tho they are apparently in the hobby here..

And if someone has them, they don't want to give any away, if they do, only in trade for other rare species.

I know, they are so hard to get, hope they become more common soon. So do these guys eat anything besides rotten wood? Is fruit needed for reproduction like more common Blaberids? And are they sensitive to high temperatures? There is a large lack of information regarding the successful husbandry of the Panesthiinae, so any info you can share would be much appreciated! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.1.2017 at 4:43 AM, Hisserdude said:

So do these guys eat anything besides rotten wood? Is fruit needed for reproduction like more common Blaberids? And are they sensitive to high temperatures? There is a large lack of information regarding the successful husbandry of the Panesthiinae, so any info you can share would be much appreciated! :)

I was told they eat a bit of fruit/dog food too, but so far, the have never touched anything I put into their enclosure. So I suppose they only eat the wood and leaves.
They also shouldn´t be kept too hot, just like Panesthia sp.
So all in all, care is pretty much the same for these guys as for Panesthia sp., not too dry, not too hot, really high substrate (they build extensive tunnels, even right up at the walls of the container) and lots of rotten wood/leaves. They also seem to eat hyphae, as I´ve seen them gnawing on some in one of their tunnels (the hyphae were right up on the container wall, so I clearly could see one of them eat). But don´t ask me which fungus it came from, I´m pretty sure it grew from the white rotting wood.

But this should not really be a surprise, considering they eat the rotting wood (which is basically wood broken down by certain fungi)

What I also found really interesting is, that they come up at night and make a mound of substrate around the entrances of their tunnels. the mounds got bigger every night since I got them, until a few days ago, since then, it stopped growing.
I guess they just finished their burrows, because I can still hear/see them crawling around in there.

I will post more pics, as soon as I find the first adults

3 hours ago, Manuel_P said:

I was told they eat a bit of fruit/dog food too, but so far, the have never touched anything I put into their enclosure. So I suppose they only eat the wood and leaves.
They also shouldn´t be kept too hot, just like Panesthia sp.
So all in all, care is pretty much the same for these guys as for Panesthia sp., not too dry, not too hot, really high substrate (they build extensive tunnels, even right up at the walls of the container) and lots of rotten wood/leaves. They also seem to eat hyphae, as I´ve seen them gnawing on some in one of their tunnels (the hyphae were right up on the container wall, so I clearly could see one of them eat). But don´t ask me which fungus it came from, I´m pretty sure it grew from the white rotting wood.

But this should not really be a surprise, considering they eat the rotting wood (which is basically wood broken down by certain fungi)

What I also found really interesting is, that they come up at night and make a mound of substrate around the entrances of their tunnels. the mounds got bigger every night since I got them, until a few days ago, since then, it stopped growing.
I guess they just finished their burrows, because I can still hear/see them crawling around in there.

I will post more pics, as soon as I find the first adults

Interesting, so they do mostly eat the wood and the leaves. I did not know that Panesthia were heat sensitive, definitely good to know! When you say high, exactly how high, more than 4 inches? 

That's so cool, so they don't just "swim" through the substrate, they actually make permanent/semi permanent burrows? Man I wish I had some of these! :D

Thank you very much for the info, it's nice to learn more about these mysterious roaches that are so rare in the hobby!

On 24.1.2017 at 2:46 AM, Hisserdude said:

Interesting, so they do mostly eat the wood and the leaves. I did not know that Panesthia were heat sensitive, definitely good to know! When you say high, exactly how high, more than 4 inches? 

That's so cool, so they don't just "swim" through the substrate, they actually make permanent/semi permanent burrows? Man I wish I had some of these! :D

well, the roaches themselves are not too heat sensitive, but their symbionts are (at least that's what I was told..).

I use about 6 inches of substrate, I was told that 4 inches are the minimum, the deeper the better

Apparently their burrowas are, as you say, at least semi permanent. I can't see any change at the tunnels they built along the container wall. But they only use them to come up at night. During the day, I never see them there. I think they have many more tunnels all throughout the container

It seems they like fungi, because I put in a tiny slice of oyster mushroom, and it disappeare overnight. That was the first time they took anything besides the wood/leaves. But it seems pretty logical to me that they like this mushroom, considering that white rotting wood is just dead wood that's broken down by fungi, and these fungi are most commonly Ploeurotes sp., and oyster mushrooms also are a member of this genus

• 5 months later...

What temperature do you keep these? 

And how big do they actually get? 

• 1 year later...

Finally got these roaches as well. They are still quite small, so it will take time to see adults. 
@Manuel_P: Have your roaches reached adulthood? Babies already? The adults cut their own wings. Have you seen that in your's?