Hissers are smart

Hissing cockroaches are the smartest insect I have ever encountered. Some time ago I bought my first hisser in a long time. I took it in wromak slide terrarium and didnt think it would escape. Ive had the species before, so it had it good in there. I slept. In the middle of the night I heard banging on glass. And it was the cockroach!! It was trying to get out by pushing the head-plate on the door, and it almost succeeded. This was the best way to be awakened in nighttime :lol: After that I read that cockroaches is one of the smartest insects, so I am not so surprised now. 

Most insects I know of would just think of the door as an motionless object and move on.

Have you experienced things like this before? :huh:

That is pretty cool. Sure sounds like your little hissing cockroach is smart.  I have some hissers but they haven't tried to escape their enclosure yet, well at least that I know of, maybe they make great adventures of it in the late hours of the night. :D But mine have a screen top which latches in so I don't think they could open it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Twilightroach said:

That is pretty cool. Sure sounds like your little hissing cockroach is smart.  I have some hissers but they haven't tried to escape their enclosure yet, well at least that I know of, maybe they make great adventures of it in the late hours of the night. :D But mine have a screen top which latches in so I don't think they could open it.

Hehe :) . My 4 hissers is now in an exoterra plastic terrarium covered with mosquito netting (so the future nymphs cant squeese out from some holes i found), so I think no one can escape now! :D

22 hours ago, IceRoach said:

Hehe :) . My 4 hissers is now in an exoterra plastic terrarium covered with mosquito netting (so the future nymphs cant squeese out from some holes i found), so I think no one can escape now! :D

That is good. It's never fun to have escapes.