troubles with oothecae

Posted by La Torre Ivan on 4/18/2007, 12:44 pm

II have a little breeding of Polyphaga aegyptiaca, a species quite common in Sicily. I have collected oothecae in the field, larvae and adults which survive in plastic and glass cages eating dog food without problems. I try to put together males and females. I have obtained oothecae but they don’t give descents. Also the oothecae collected in the field didn’t give larvae.

Someone can help me?

What have I to do?

latorreivan@libero.it

Posted by orin on 4/20/2007, 7:40 am, in reply to "troubles with oothecae"

Just leave the oothecae in the dirt with the adults, if you remove the oothecae you're very likely to kill them. Don't let the substrate dry out and do not keep it overly wet. Also, remember Polyphagid eggs take 3-6 months to hatch.

elytraandantenna@lycos.com

Posted by dave on 4/21/2007, 1:28 am, in reply to "Re: troubles with oothecae"

I have had good luck with them hachting in thier own container ,ooth burried and moist, but not wet.If they get too wet, they will rot. Temp around 85 F. But I have had them hatch in the same container with parents.

DaveGrimm1@yahoo.com

Posted by Debbie on 4/24/2007, 6:07 pm, in reply to "Re: troubles with oothecae"

Hi Orin I was wondering if you have any of these available. Do you have any of these: Lurida,chopardi,harlequin,big black hissers, black and white hissers, fumigata or rothi please let me know if you have any of these and the prices for them.

Thank You

Debbie

Sweetpoison114@aol.com