LIttle kenyan roaches as feeders

mantisfan101

11 hours ago, mantisfan101 said:

How are these guys as feeders? I was thinking of feeding them to smaller mantis nymphs and maybe even feed off any hatchlings to some L1 instar mantids. Are these easy to care for? Do they reproduce quickly? Any care tips are appreciated!

These roaches are still regulated, and lobsters will provide plenty of small nymphs.

8 hours ago, The Mantis Menagerie said:

These roaches are still regulated, and lobsters will provide plenty of small nymphs.

Ah, didn't see that. Also, do you know which of the roaches that were deregulated would be able to provide the smallest nymphs? I'm kind of tired of using fruit flies and I want something small enough to be able to feed my wolf spider slings and baby L1 mantids(Texas Unicorn).

10 hours ago, mantisfan101 said:

Ah, didn't see that. Also, do you know which of the roaches that were deregulated would be able to provide the smallest nymphs? I'm kind of tired of using fruit flies and I want something small enough to be able to feed my wolf spider slings and baby L1 mantids(Texas Unicorn).

Probably lobsters, bananas, or porcelains

15 hours ago, mantisfan101 said:

Maybe get some Compsodes schwarzi? They are technically US natives, and therefore shouldn't be regulated I don't think, (not that most normal hobbyists bother following these regulations, only those applying for other permits, and the USDA doesn't seem to care too much about Blatticulture ATM), plus they are prolific and even smaller than little Kenyans. 

Banana roaches seem appealing, and since they can fly it would be more appealing to certain mantid species. I decided to go for red runners since I've always kept live-bearers and I wsnted to try out a species that laid ooths. As for the compsodes schwarzi, where could you get a colony of these? Are these prolific enough to be used as a feeder? And most importantly, would it be legal to transport them?

1 hour ago, mantisfan101 said:

Banana roaches seem appealing, and since they can fly it would be more appealing to certain mantid species. I decided to go for red runners since I've always kept live-bearers and I wsnted to try out a species that laid ooths. As for the compsodes schwarzi, where could you get a colony of these? Are these prolific enough to be used as a feeder? And most importantly, would it be legal to transport them?

P. nivea does not require permits, and they are the only roach I have ever had that comes close to my lobster roaches in breeding rate! I think the roach Hisserdude mentioned is regulated. As I understand it, all roaches require permits by default. 

14 hours ago, The Mantis Menagerie said:

P. nivea does not require permits, and they are the only roach I have ever had that comes close to my lobster roaches in breeding rate! I think the roach Hisserdude mentioned is regulated. As I understand it, all roaches require permits by default. 

Even the native US ones? That seems pretty odd IMO, I've always understood that native US insects (besides some beetles) are not illegal to own, I mean shipping across state lines is a little questionable and each state has their own laws on that, but I mean these are US natives we're talking about here... 

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

Even the native US ones? That seems pretty odd IMO, I've always understood that native US insects (besides some beetles) are not illegal to own, I mean shipping across state lines is a little questionable and each state has their own laws on that, but I mean these are US natives we're talking about here... 

Most US native insects are regulated. Only strict carnivores or detritivores are not regulated. I have even been told that I cannot get the permits for Stenopelmatus without a containment facility. 

2 hours ago, The Mantis Menagerie said:

Most US native insects are regulated. Only strict carnivores or detritivores are not regulated. I have even been told that I cannot get the permits for Stenopelmatus without a containment facility. 

Wow, that's insane... 😐 Well that sucks for people who have to follow the stringent USDA rules to the letter. :(