Roachery...Better results

Posted by Rookie on 6/21/2007, 8:01 pm

Just started up seriously about 4 moths ago. I am in the midst of my second cycle and am wondering a few things from the veterans.

Is keeping smaller numbers in smaller bins more effecient/better/easier to breed than just a big bucket with 100's in it?

I have two buckets for each of my roaches (orange spotted, lobsters, hissers) and about 150 in each one. What would be better, to get smaller containers and seperate the mixes, or just let them go as is. My goals are to feed, but I am highly interested in the sales too. I built a 6'x4'x2'heating/incubating/roachery that keep the bins at a constant 80-90 degrees. I think in 2 or 3 more cycles I should have enough of each to get it going. Thanks for your input.

Posted by Rookie on 6/25/2007, 5:03 pm, in reply to "Re: Roachery...Better results"

Thanks.

In your opinion, what is the best roach to breed? and the best to feed?

I have hissers, lobsters, and orange heads. In my opion -the hissers are meatiest, the orange heads are the most hardiest so far. I have not had the colonies long enough to witness breeding.

Posted by orin on 6/30/2007, 8:50 am, in reply to "Re: Roachery...Better results"

The best roaches to feed depends on what you're feeding them to. Turtles love hissers. A number of larger lizards like discoids. For certain inverts like mantids, centipedes and waterscorpions the firefly mimic roaches work best.