Aging Leaves Underwater

I was on Roach Crossing, and I saw a post about some new spring tail culture. What I also noticed, though, was the mention of soaking leaves underwater to age them. Can anyone tell me more about this? I have not heard about this before, but what type of process is it supposed to emulate and what is the timescale? Also, what animals are the aged leaves good for? Is it just a blatticulture thing, or is it useful for other detritivores? 

I imagine it's just to rot the leaves faster, as far as I'm aware there's no benefit to doing it that particular way if you already have well-rotted leaves.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

P.S I tried keeping a California species or locale of blue springtail, didn't end well as they wouldn't feed on anything I offered them and seemingly didn't like my temperatures. They eventually perished and I haven't seen anyone successfully breed USA blue springtails.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:23 AM, Arthroverts said:

I imagine it's just to rot the leaves faster, as far as I'm aware there's no benefit to doing it that particular way if you already have well-rotted leaves.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

P.S I tried keeping a California species or locale of blue springtail, didn't end well as they wouldn't feed on anything I offered them and seemingly didn't like my temperatures. They eventually perished and I haven't seen anyone successfully breed USA blue springtails.

Well, it might help me. I have dried oak leaves and only some inconsistently rotten leaves. I am also quite allergic to leaf molds, so maybe keeping the leaves underwater would mean any spores generated in the process would not become aerosolized and affect my allergies.