125G Rotten Log

hydrophyte

125G Rotten Log

New setup!

Dead fallen and standing trees support more biodiversity than any other kind of terrestrial habitat feature. This kind of theme, with incorporation of wood-decay fungi and dead wood-inhabiting along with plants and other livestock, is fertile ground for development of model ecosystems. I have been working on a new setup with a large half-rotten Ulmus log as the main feature along with various living inhabitants.

For future projects, I intend to experiment with introduction of fungal mycelia as a wood destroyer with fresh log pieces, but for this display I instead added a Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum) fungus already established on a sawdust growing block.

The tank is 48" wide with an approximate 125-gallon volume. One of the lid panels has a pair of integrated electrosonic misters, vent holes and a wire port. A pair of 5v case fans provide air circulation. Lighting is a pair of economy LED strips.

There are some interesting plant and animal inhabitants in this enclosure. I'll post again with more details. Stay tuned!

• Like 1