Enclosure for American Cockroach?

Absolute Nausea

Howdy there!

I was wondering what kind of enclosure to place American Cockroaches (Periplaneta americana) inside of?

I was thinking about just getting a glass fish tank, since I've heard they cannot climb glass, but I was wondering if they possibly could be container in plastic enclosures?

I'm also open to hearing your enclosure suggestions and what yall contain yours in!

Anyways, Nausea out :-)

They can climb smooth surfaces, so you'll want a tight fitting lid (with really small ventilation holes--or none at all) and you'll also probably want to smear some petroleum jelly or other barrier across the top inch or two of the walls. A lot of people do use plastic containers, especially sterilite containers with a foam gasket in the lid. Modified food storage containers, like the big cylindrical ones with screw top lids that pretzels come in, also work. Just rinse them out first. 

5 hours ago, Absolute Nausea said:

Howdy there!

I was wondering what kind of enclosure to place American Cockroaches (Periplaneta americana) inside of?

I was thinking about just getting a glass fish tank, since I've heard they cannot climb glass, but I was wondering if they possibly could be container in plastic enclosures?

I'm also open to hearing your enclosure suggestions and what yall contain yours in!

Anyways, Nausea out 🙂

They can indeed climb smooth surfaces once they are sizeable nymphs and adults, so you'll either want to house them in a secure container, use a slippery barrier, or, if you wish, both. I keep mine in one of the enclosures that @Blatta mentioned - a Sterilite Gasket Box. Specifically this size: Sterilite 20 Quart 1932 Clear Gasket Box with Blue Aquarium Latches & Gasket - Walmart.com