Temperature observation:

Matt K

On my recent 8 day survey of Costa Rica, I learned many things. Among these I found that roaches there have a tendancy to stay out of the heat for the most part. Temps ranged anywhere from 58'F to 85'F depending on altitude and other factors. The locations where I have seen the most roaches, and the most roach activity were in places where the temps were close to 70'F. The range being 68'F to 73'F. This is interesting to me because I had always thought tropical roaches enjoyed the heat/humidity.... In contrast while on a trip in eastern Africa I found roaches in the vegetation when it was near 95'F+.

The data I collected (loads of it!) was from the southern half of Costa Rica at altitudes from sea level to 10,540 feet above sea level. Curiously, too, microclimates exist all along the way up in a variety of temperature ranges where you would not expect them.

I was wondering where you disappeared off to! Too cool. Thanks for sharing all that great information and those photos in the other posts!

We all look forward to bits and pieces of your additional observations! Did you just get back this month? CR is on my list of places to go in the next 3 years (wife says Greece, next year...but then I get to pick and it's gonna be a BUG trip for sure!).

Tell me, did you find more bugs or did more bugs find you? I'm always that guy in the group that gets eaten alive. Makes me a good person to be near since the bugs jump off others to feed on me. I wish I were kidding. I'm that person who walks into a pet owner's house and informs them that they have a bad flea problem within 5 minutes...a problem that they didn't even know they had!

Peter

I am working on a full review of sorts.

Though I carried bottles of 100% DEET, I did not once use any bug spray at all. In 8 days I was bit only a couple of times, and that was near the coast. In the mountains not at all. Most pleasant tropical trip I have had yet!

I look forward to reading the review! Where do you buy 100% DEET?

I bought 30% and 100% pump bottle sprays of DEET at Academy Sports. (I try the 30 first because DEET makes me feel queezy).

I bought 30% and 100% pump bottle sprays of DEET at Academy Sports. (I try the 30 first because DEET makes me feel queezy).

Thanks Matt.

Hey, great photos you posted! I took a few moments to throw some ID help towards a few of them.

Thank for taking all that time to share those AMAZING photos with us!

Peter

Sounds like a GREAT trip Matt...I love your photos... Things have been super busy around home so I haven't gotten to post as much as I've wanted too... hopefully next week. Can't wait to hear more about your adventure..

Your friend,

Graham