Things roaches in general won't eat:

Matt K

For some reason any roach I have seems to not eat these items:

Tofu

Parsley

Cilantro (occasionally will)

...can anyone add to this list? I normally try to feed them anything I eat if its whole and fresh.... I am not inclined to eat "junk food" but on very rare occasion.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put some cantelope in my roach tanks last week. I thought they would love it since it's soft and sweet but they barely touched it. I gave it to b. fusca, peppereds, hissers, banana roaches, etc. The only roaches that ate it were my dubias. :(

I have yet to find a food that dubias won't eat though.

I had some leftover pineapple the other day and tried it (thinking about the same thing that Roachsmith did-lol)... only a few of my colonies messed with the small piece I placed in each cage. Suprisingly- It looked like the rhino roaches chewed on the piece a bit... hmmm... all my colonies are still small though so this could have something to do with it.

Graham

I couldn't get mine to eat any tomatoes. Some one gave me some so thought I would try. In fact I don't think they like the dog food I am giving them either. Any suggestions for food? Also, I need to get a fewer more G. portensa(?) (hissing cockroaches) for the school I work at anyone have a few to sell?

Thanks,

Tina

I couldn't get mine to eat any tomatoes. Some one gave me some so thought I would try. In fact I don't think they like the dog food I am giving them either. Any suggestions for food? Also, I need to get a fewer more G. portensa(?) (hissing cockroaches) for the school I work at anyone have a few to sell?

Thanks,

Tina

For dog food try Beneful brand...some roaches like it all and others like select pieces of it. Or you could switch to a catfood. I also offer floating fish food sticks that they all seem to nibble or grab up like little thieves...

I put some cantelope in my roach tanks last week. I thought they would love it since it's soft and sweet but they barely touched it. I gave it to b. fusca, peppereds, hissers, banana roaches, etc. The only roaches that ate it were my dubias. :(

I have yet to find a food that dubias won't eat though.

My Discoids will inhale cantalope! Strange little buggers.

For dog food try Beneful brand...some roaches like it all and others like select pieces of it. Or you could switch to a catfood. I also offer floating fish food sticks that they all seem to nibble or grab up like little thieves...

That is actually the kind I have been feeding them. That is what I feed my dogs. I may try the float fish food sticks. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmm, mine eat everything that everyone one has mentioned. I have a very large lobster colony and they ate a small rat that my burm wouldn't eat. They will eat beets, carrots, dark greens, tortoise food, ig salad, cantaloupe, watermelon, dog food, mice, mouse chow, rat chow, fruit loops, raison bran, egg yolks, dried fruit mix, potato chips, wood shavings, grass clipings, yogurt, cheese, cherries, oranges, strawberries etc.... I heard that orange heads ate live insects so I tried it with crickets and well they do. Most of mine will eat earthworms...

I always thought that they will eat anything, one thing I haven't tried is the glue on the back of post-it's which is a common urban myth, but since mine will eat their egg crates if they run out of food while I'm at school I am assuming they will eat paper and the glue along with it.

**Note: My Blatta lateralis eat anything. My lobster roaches and orangeheads eat just about anything. But the many other species I keep seem to vary in how particular they are so the title of this thread is "roaches in general", and not speciefically which will what. ;)

Hmm, mine eat everything that everyone one has mentioned. I have a very large lobster colony and they ate a small rat that my burm wouldn't eat. They will eat beets, carrots, dark greens, tortoise food, ig salad, cantaloupe, watermelon, dog food, mice, mouse chow, rat chow, fruit loops, raison bran, egg yolks, dried fruit mix, potato chips, wood shavings, grass clipings, yogurt, cheese, cherries, oranges, strawberries etc.... I heard that orange heads ate live insects so I tried it with crickets and well they do. Most of mine will eat earthworms...

I always thought that they will eat anything, one thing I haven't tried is the glue on the back of post-it's which is a common urban myth, but since mine will eat their egg crates if they run out of food while I'm at school I am assuming they will eat paper and the glue along with it.

ive found that when you feed your roaches like everyday the become picky like dogs and cats are...however if you feed them like once or twice a week which i plenty for a hisse colony they will eat pretty much everything.....i feed mine exactly the same stuff i feed my beetles, and my meal worms....which is pretty much anything i have on hand which is usually carrots and random letuces but they have readily taken my leftover brockly, crickets, lettuce, green beans, dead meal worms, baby pine trees, and anything else i put in with them.....lol

This is a good point. I have noticed that also with several species. Some people have theories that roaches will only eat what they need or select what they need to eat to stay healthy, and other people think they feed indiscriminately.

Does anyone else have observations or thoughts on this topic ??

This could really be a whole other thread if someone wants to start one.

;)

ive found that when you feed your roaches like everyday the become picky like dogs and cats are...however if you feed them like once or twice a week which i plenty for a hisse colony they will eat pretty much everything.....i feed mine exactly the same stuff i feed my beetles, and my meal worms....which is pretty much anything i have on hand which is usually carrots and random letuces but they have readily taken my leftover brockly, crickets, lettuce, green beans, dead meal worms, baby pine trees, and anything else i put in with them.....lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got one: pesto. I've tossed a jar which was already a little bit moldy with the dubia's. Normally they are the waste bin for all food that is not eaten by the other roaches or the cat, and mold is no problem at all. The next day I've found about then dead roaches in the jar, and the amount of pesto was diminished but it's not totally eaten.

Sorry for replying so late but what are "baby pine trees"? I mean are we talking small evergreens? Maybe it was a joke I missed...

Sorry for replying so late but what are "baby pine trees"? I mean are we talking small evergreens? Maybe it was a joke I missed...

...Could be a substitute for a kitchen sink....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My dubia and tesselata love grapefruit pulp and original flavored Milkbone dog biscuits. They always finish off the grapefruit and chew big holes in the Milkbones. They like apple pieces, tropical fish flakes, Gerber barley baby cereal, instant potato flakes, ground up rabbit food (alfalfa pellets), dried pumpkin seeds and Purina 1 chicken/rice dog food. They sort of eat carrots but it's not a favorite. They want nothing to do with either iceberg or romaine lettuce or lambsquarters (wild spinach). If I accidentally wet their paper tubes they eat the damp parts.

• 2 months later...

I noticed a few people say they feed carrots and I just wanted to let yall know that carrots have a natural pesticide in them that can kill a mantid or make it sick if fed a feeder insect thats eaten one. I have no idea if it effects any other insect species the same way but its better to be safe then sorry. I have never heard of this anywhere else but a friend of mine told me this resently and he is somewhat of an expert when it comes to mantids so I trust him.