P. surinamensis Ootheca

Vonnie

My babies are having babies! I was pleased to actually see one of my surinam roaches complete making her ootheca, while another one was just beginning. It's a beautiful thing to watch and I hope to snap some macro shots of the process next time.

In the mean time, these are my first ootheca to care for. Does any one have any tips on how to care for them? Should I take them out of the enclosure? Can I put them in a separate enclosure and if so what to they need to survive? Basic questions I'm sure, but just like any new roach parent, I'm nervous and would like to get it right the first time.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Vonnie, It sounds like you're having dropped ooths due to stress. No problem! We'll fix it. :) What's your husbandry like? Enclosure type? Substrate? Temps? Humidity?

That all makes sense! It makes me a little sad though. I was really excited. There was recently a mite problem and to take care of it I transferred all of my roaches to separate enclosures to thoroughly clean the original.

To prevent mites in the future, I recommend that you get isopods and springtails. I have seen that they do in fact help with the mites. You will still have a couple roaming around but in low numbers. The cool thing about surinams is that they are quick to breed and they dont take crap from anything! Unless its mold but even then.