Mites on Hissers

Hi!

Have not posted in a long time!  Have a question for experienced hisser people.

So, I have been checking the forum using the word "mite"  and "hisser" but could not find a answer to my question/problem. 

I want to get rid of my mites on my hissers.  To be honest, Ive have been keeping hissers for years, and years, and they have always had mites and Ive always disliked it. (Love my roaches tho..) I bought my roaches with mites already on them. 

I keep the tank clean, no rotten or moldy food. I feed minimal fruits and veggies. Some repashy products. NO FISH FOOD FLAKES or DOG FOOD. (This one time, I got grain mites...) No standing water dish in the tank. I use cricket quencher. 

I really want to go bio-active as well. What CUC's and plants would you suggest? I tried putting in isopods and they perished within 1 week...

Would love some solid feedback on this, thanks,

L.B. Lori

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ladybug Lori said:

Hi!

Have not posted in a long time!  Have a question for experienced hisser people.

So, I have been checking the forum using the word "mite"  and "hisser" but could not find a answer to my question/problem. 

I want to get rid of my mites on my hissers.  To be honest, Ive have been keeping hissers for years, and years, and they have always had mites and Ive always disliked it. (Love my roaches tho..) I bought my roaches with mites already on them. 

I keep the tank clean, no rotten or moldy food. I feed minimal fruits and veggies. Some repashy products. NO FISH FOOD FLAKES or DOG FOOD. (This one time, I got grain mites...) No standing water dish in the tank. I use cricket quencher. 

I really want to go bio-active as well. What CUC's and plants would you suggest? I tried putting in isopods and they perished within 1 week...

Would love some solid feedback on this, thanks,

L.B. Lori

What kind of mites? The commensal hisser mites that are large, fast moving and generally are only found on the hissers themselves? (sometimes on decor and the sides of enclosures if they get super numerous). Those are considered beneficial and will eat other harmful mites, and keep the hissers clean from certain fungal and bacterial pathogens. It's generally recommended that you do not get rid of them because of their benefits to the hissers, but you can remove them via taking the hissers and shaking them around in some flour for a little bit, usually in a plastic ziplock baggie. This tends to shake the commensal mites off most individuals.

Whereas if you're talking about the tiny white specks that swarm uneaten food and dead hissers, and occasionally coat the walls and attach themselves to hissers in a white crust in plague proportions, those are grain mites. Grain mites can be controlled by reducing the amount of food fed, so there are no leftovers in between feedings, and/or by drying out the enclosure more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm glad to know about this, thank you.