Climbing Surfaces for Large, Arboreal Roaches?

Hey everyone! 

I've curious, what does everyone use for climbing surfaces in their large, arboreal roach (A.tessellata, B.colosseus, B.giganteus, etc.) enclosures? I've only ever found a few pieces of bark out in the field that were large and sturdy enough to use for them, but none since. Cork bark is painfully expensive, especially for multiple pieces/large sizes. Have any of you found a cheap and readily available alternative? 

Interested to hear from you! 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

I know some people have used pieces of plywood as climbing surfaces for various large Blaberids in the past.

That has seemed like a tantalizing option to me for a while now, but I've never been quite sure how to tell what's been treated with harmful chemicals and what hasn't. Researching it now has unfortunately brought up a new question - whether the phenolic resin used in normal plywood is even safe for humans to be regularly handling. 😩

I have some beech bark for my tesselata, but I can relate. It was collected from a forest park with a planted area of young, healthy trees. There wasn't too much of it lying about.

I've started keeping my posticus with cut and scored plastic pipe, seen here:

But I hazard a guess it's not exactly the aesthetics you're aiming for.