Eupolyphaga sinensis "White Eye" (White Eyed Chinese Medicinal Roach)

A unique and true breeding morph that's popped up in culture a couple times, hopefully this time they'll stick around in the US hobby! :D

Adult female:

AVvXsEgX3knDKLUoIxvHYbHZTcuCMalJ5kiZajx6

AVvXsEgGgqDXIF-1aXCE-XEkkBZqqTesSwKAHW5g

AVvXsEhrixl1So2LOpjtIXWHg-KtAQZV_60IgtuE

AVvXsEiieI09iRg1eoz3wRWgEr4jZXjfsS4qNr9D

Adult male head:

AVvXsEhEsskayh8CTVH6Y83l04alV7H2iKunNcpy

AVvXsEgPMCtTY9hLJ_oIMeolrulgwEh9mKYqK9DZ

8 hours ago, Bhjjr said:

Does their white eyes work as well as normal ones? 

I'm actually fairly certain the white eye mutation in roaches causes blindness. However they have so many sensory hairs covering their body that it hardly makes a difference. 😂 They're able to carry on pretty much completely normally.

Though I do hear watching white eyed Periplaneta trying to mate is rather funny since the males will sometimes kinda just walk backwards blindly trying to find the female they were courting to hook up with, oftentimes bumping into other males and nymphs in the process.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So I found an article about white eyed Americans being more aggressive to non white eyed individuals. Have you noticed any behavioral differences in this species? I have recently became an Associate Certified Entomologist and I am interested in doing some person research. The white eyed mutation might be something worth looking into. 

On 12/11/2023 at 3:36 PM, Matttoadman said:

So I found an article about white eyed Americans being more aggressive to non white eyed individuals. Have you noticed any behavioral differences in this species? I have recently became an Associate Certified Entomologist and I am interested in doing some person research. The white eyed mutation might be something worth looking into. 

Well I've never kept normal E.sinensis so I can't really compare the behavior TBH. They don't seem very aggressive though.