Dragon fruit

Bhjjr

Anybody here grow dragon fruit? Mine finally flowered last year but didn't set.

I'm wondering if I should give hand pollination a try this year. There are three flowers forming already.

And how about getting raspberries to produce? The bush grows well with lots of flowers but they've all turned brown again this year. Im thinking of planting some flowers next year to attract the bees. The bees stay in front of the house with the poppies but don't make it to the backyard. 

34 minutes ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I planted some seeds a few years back but I think I'm about 100 years from a flower. Not a bad potted plant but they grow like cactus vines and set roots in nearby pots.

The flowers are huge and short lived. I read somewhere that the plant needs to grow to a certain weight before it'll flower but I don't remember what the weight is.

100 years feels like the wait for M. rhinoceros, be it the wait to obtain, the wait to grow, the wait to reproduce, or the "weight" of an adult haha

• 3 months later...

I realize that this post was from a few months back, but I have several kinds of Hylocereus plus a couple dozen of their close relatives. Most true dragonfruit will not produce fruit when self-pollinated, usually they'll need fresh genetic material. There are some self-fertile varieties though.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to find another grower willing to share some pollen with you, or to find more cuttings. Pollen can be collected and stored in the freezer for about a year, so no need to worry about syncing flowers with people. If you do get more cuttings, H. megalanthus has far better tasting fruits than H. undatus in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply! I have two varieties planted close to each other but only one of them has flowered so far.

I got them at Home Depot lol. I just know that one is white inside and the other is red. 

On 9/14/2022 at 8:38 AM, kadupul said:

I realize that this post was from a few months back, but I have several kinds of Hylocereus plus a couple dozen of their close relatives. Most true dragonfruit will not produce fruit when self-pollinated, usually they'll need fresh genetic material. There are some self-fertile varieties though.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to find another grower willing to share some pollen with you, or to find more cuttings. Pollen can be collected and stored in the freezer for about a year, so no need to worry about syncing flowers with people. If you do get more cuttings, H. megalanthus has far better tasting fruits than H. undatus in my opinion.