My New A Tesselata Set Up

Silverback

Agreed mate actually  thought I'd said in this post but it was on my other post about them in General Blat Discussions saying it's only for now and I'll move them into something taller but definetly keep the advice/suggestions coming as I'm always happy to listen to an experienced keeper 

Cheers 

SB 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you I try to use natural stuff in all my pet Roach colonies and I've managed to collect a lot of bark due to the bad storms here a while ago that brought down 1000s of trees and I have a huge supply of Moss locally so I'm quite lucky 

I always try to do some sort of cave/s for all the relevant Roaches 

I'd love to use palms but obviously we don't have them here and they cost a fortune to buy so I guess your lucky too 

How many colonies do you have and what are they 

Take care 

SB 

On 10/9/2022 at 1:04 AM, Silverback said:

How many colonies do you have and what are they 

Take care 

SB 

Hi

Right now I have 19 colonies. My favorite is probably T. olegrandjrani. I found babies last week :)

Think I'm at 22 but more coming so it's gonna be 25+ very soon and they're one of my favourites too I only started with 5 adults and some nymphs last year and I've now got an adult colony of 60+ with dozens more nymphs maturing from my original little colony every week so it doesn't take long once they get going and based on the current results from what I started with I can only think I'll have literally 100s next year 

I do like my large roaches tho as my Hybrid blab colony is one of my current favourites too 

Good luck with your new babies and I've found the nymphs very protein hungry and grow/mature much faster with plenty of protein (but found all nymphs of pretty much every species are the same even with adults who are not interested in protein)

SB 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:53 AM, Silverback said:

12 A 'Cerro Chucanti'

Jealous, we don't have that strain of Archimandrita in the US hobby yet. 

6 minutes ago, Silverback said:

Tbh mate I'd never heard of them till recently but thought anything that's a bigger Tesselata 😳 is a must have 😁 but I'll post some pics once I get them 

SB 

Hopefully they do well for you, would love to see that strain in the US hobby one of these days!

• 5 weeks later...

Update got my first adult 😁 

IMG_20221117_201106_copy_482x813.thumb.jpg.e42e5e12b97a9c14535b5c47e550c12f.jpg

Well it's the first one I've seen so I'll have a gently look through later to check as they're were 7 nymphs various sizes but several big ones and they've all been growing very fast but wasn't expecting adults just yet 

They're much prettier in the flesh as it where and so calm very enjoyable to handle 

And just for the record measured at 7cm I was expecting them to be bigger but maybe it just seems small compared to my hybrids as I'm used to their size now 

Just hope they all survive as I've read they can just die after moulting to adult 

I'll update as necessary 

SB 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been MIA for a while still no answer from my enquiry to the board 🙄

I now have 3 adults and 3 nymphs should of been 4 adults but unfortunately lost 1 without obvious cause so🤞I hopefully end up with 5/6 adults and can get some babies eventually

All the adults are very different so easy to tell apart 

I'll update when I have any news 

SB 

On 1/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, Silverback said:

Been MIA for a while still no answer from my enquiry to the board 🙄

I now have 3 adults and 3 nymphs should of been 4 adults but unfortunately lost 1 without obvious cause so🤞I hopefully end up with 5/6 adults and can get some babies eventually

All the adults are very different so easy to tell apart 

I'll update when I have any news 

SB 

How are you keeping these temperture and humidity etc 

they are stunning species 

Personally I think they're pretty easy to keep 

Temp 80s (up to low 90s)

Humidity 70s +

I have about 4" of loose sub crushed leaves crushed rotted wood and shredded moss plus a layer of leaf litter on top (whole leaves) and I keep the bottom inch or so of sub dark and never let it dry out and spray about every 3 days 

I prefer to spray less volume more frequently which is more work/time but I feel gives a better more stable result 

Plenty of bark uprights making a cave and they seem to divide their time between under the bark and in the leaf litter and I feel the top leaf litter layer is very important and reflects their natural habits and environment 

Nymphs love my high protein dry food and the adults seem to prefer fruit/veg I use mostly banana apple and Butternut squash 

SB 

17 hours ago, Silverback said:

Personally I think they're pretty easy to keep 

Temp 80s (up to low 90s)

Humidity 70s +

I have about 4" of loose sub crushed leaves crushed rotted wood and shredded moss plus a layer of leaf litter on top (whole leaves) and I keep the bottom inch or so of sub dark and never let it dry out and spray about every 3 days 

I prefer to spray less volume more frequently which is more work/time but I feel gives a better more stable result 

Plenty of bark uprights making a cave and they seem to divide their time between under the bark and in the leaf litter and I feel the top leaf litter layer is very important and reflects their natural habits and environment 

Nymphs love my high protein dry food and the adults seem to prefer fruit/veg I use mostly banana apple and Butternut squash 

SB 

Thanks very much for your info, thats great and saved me the hard work🙂👍 i have been preparing a few large second hand fish tanks ready for a few species that i fancy keeping just have to sort out the ventilation now, 

I was a little curious and ended up googling weather variants in cerro chucanti appears to be a tad cooler than less mountainous regions but not knowing the exact location this species was collected i was going to try them at a Similar temperature to blaberus giganteus, but if you have successfully kept them at that then thats brilliant i will  probably follow suit👍 heres a few of my aquariums sorry for the rubbish pics

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/2/2023 at 11:07 PM, Silverback said:

Another quick update I've finally got babies lots of babies 😳

That's all folks

SB 

Hi,

how's your colony coming along,

have you any updated pics of the adults and nymphs please  and have you noticed any uniformity of colour in them and is there much variation 

Cheers

Sorry I've been MIA I'm just soooo busy ATM and don't get a minute

I did a complete overhaul a few weeks ago and went through all the sub very carefully and I'm down to 1 HUGE female that's still producing lots of nymphs (I know that by the amount of new tiny ones in the sub) so I've got about 40+ can't remember exact number of various size nymphs + plus many dozens of tiny ones I didn't bother to try and catch/count as there were too many

I'll try and get some pics to post when I get a minute but the colony is doing very well and I'm expecting a lot of adults very soon due to the large number of sub adults 

I'll update when I start getting new adults and I'll have to Rehouse from their current 40 litre to an 80 litre as I want to give any males plenty of space with lots of vertical bark

I'm only using leaf litter for sub now (I was using 3/4" forest floor plus couple of inches leaf litter on top) which they seem to prefer about 3/4" crushed layer and a couple of inches whole leaf litter on the top 

Food apple and banana plus my fruit jelly which they prefer to the fruit 

Temps mid/high 80s with high humidity

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silverback said:

I'm only using leaf litter for sub now (I was using 3/4" forest floor plus couple of inches leaf litter on top) which they seem to prefer about 3/4" crushed layer and a couple of inches whole leaf litter on the top 

That's interesting. I may be asking for too many nitpicking details, but what benefits do you see from using all leaf litter?

Hey Warren

Tbh mate it was something I noticed which then made me try an experiment

I topped up the leaf litter and instead of spreading it out i left it in a pile then noticed A LOT of them on and in the pile so curious I made about a quarter of the sub (I only did one corner) with all leaf litter and that was definetly the most popular place especially for all the the smaller nymphs so I changed it all the forest floor for crushed leaf litter and they're evenly distributed again as apparently they use leaf litter cover in their natural habitat and it's also probably easier for burrowing into especially the smaller nymphs 

I should also mention I have basically a limitless supply of leaf litter (and rotted wood) and i tend to use it quite freely so all my Pods/MTU etc love me 🤣

I still keep the bottom inch dark by regular spraying as they also love their humidity

I'd be interested in other people's thoughts/findings on this

Take care

SB