My New A Tesselata Set Up

Silverback

Ive thinking about all leaf substrate for a couple months now but haven't tried it. I'm curious if you will have to put more effort/time into keeping up the humidity vs using a mix of leaves and other media. 

My understanding is that coco coir is useful for holding moisture. Most people don't have limitless quantities of leaf litter as an option, which I think is definitely an advantage. And rotting wood too!!

Leaf litter holds moisture very well I just keep the bottom inch dark and it keeps my humidity high it's perfect

I hate coir for anything I've tried it in the past and will never use it again I find it dries out easily and goes powdery and has no function or nutrition especially for Pods etc 

My go to perfect sub is forest floor for anything it holds moisture well it's very nutritious for anything that eats sub totally natural I use it for Roaches Pods spiders centipedes pet much everything 

I also like live Moss but with a good inch+ of roots (yes I know it doesn't have roots they're rhizomes) that is a fantastic moisture holder as the roots never dry out even if it's neglected for a couple of weeks and it's perfect I have a quarter to a third of the tub depending on species with love Moss

How this helps

SB

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 1:48 PM, Silverback said:

Leaf litter holds moisture very well I just keep the bottom inch dark and it keeps my humidity high it's perfect

I hate coir for anything I've tried it in the past and will never use it again I find it dries out easily and goes powdery and has no function or nutrition especially for Pods etc 

My go to perfect sub is forest floor for anything it holds moisture well it's very nutritious for anything that eats sub totally natural I use it for Roaches Pods spiders centipedes pet much everything 

I also like live Moss but with a good inch+ of roots (yes I know it doesn't have roots they're rhizomes) that is a fantastic moisture holder as the roots never dry out even if it's neglected for a couple of weeks and it's perfect I have a quarter to a third of the tub depending on species with love Moss

How this helps

SB

I've never used leaf litter with blaberids. I'll go throw some in.