Tiger Hisser Molt

Severus

I just witnessed my first molt. HOLY COW! That was cool. I took the lid off the enclosure and saw one convulsing as if it was breathing hard. So I wondered, "Do roaches really breath like that?" Then I saw the crack on its head. "OH NO! Maybe it is dying! Oh wait. It might be molting." I was very worried there for a second. Then it kicked in that it was actually molting which I had never seen before. I jumped up and started scrambling for my camera. Dead batteries. "Son of a-!" So I ran frantically downstairs "OMG OMG OMG! Mom! Where is your camera?" No memory card. Easy fix! Memory card full. Oh come on! Delete delete delete. After I took a few pictures I ran down to show mom why I was so excited. Of course dad was in the room. "Is it those damn bugs?" and he tried to change the subject to horses.

I will have more pictures up in just a little bit. Like a dolt, I deleted the first picture where you could just see the frist crack on the head. I was very disappointed, but that is what I get for being hasty.

RoachMolt3-1.jpg

RoachMolt4.jpg

I know some of you are probably saying to yourselves "Newb." But I don't care, that was freaking awesome!

I've never seen anything like that!

Awesome. I know how you feel. I was so excited the first time I saw my hisser nymphs molt. :D

Alot of people enjoy pics of molting roaches... its part of the magic of roach keeping! A growing roach is a sign that you are doing it right and the bug is happy. I have noticed that in European forums pics of molting roaches are very popular.

Good timing!

Hey, I'm doing a presentation for a Gen Bio II class about some different roach species (we got to choose our own topic and so with some argument I got to do something cool), would you allow me to use one of those pictures? I'll include what ever information you would like me to with the picture. If not it's totally cool I'll find some somewhere else on the net for molting, I think yours really illustrate the concept though.

Yeah sure. By all means, you can use them. I wish I had better ones(consistent lighting) for you to use. I'm sure photocredits will be required(they were for all the papers/presentations I've had to do), so I'm sure my name will suffice. Amelia Warsing.

Yeah sure. By all means, you can use them. I wish I had better ones(consistent lighting) for you to use. I'm sure photocredits will be required(they were for all the papers/presentations I've had to do), so I'm sure my name will suffice. Amelia Warsing.

I'm sure a name will be good since I have prior concent and everything. Thanks.