New USA cockroach species

Blatella asahinai looks very similar to B. germanica but behaves differently: it rarely invades homes and flies readily. It was introduced in the southeast in the 80s but is making its way west. I noticed an article a month or two ago about how it's benificial activity of feeding on certain pest moth eggs was being studied but can't seem to locate the article. Anyone? Anyone run across this species (it is found at least from FL to TX)?

Blatella asahinai looks very similar to B. germanica but behaves differently: it rarely invades homes and flies readily. It was introduced in the southeast in the 80s but is making its way west. I noticed an article a month or two ago about how it's benificial activity of feeding on certain pest moth eggs was being studied but can't seem to locate the article. Anyone? Anyone run across this species (it is found at least from FL to TX)?

????? I have culture of a roach I thought was the field roach Blattella vaga, which is also similar to the German roach Blatella germanica. Now I have to wonder.... Hopefully next week I will have the chance to get a sample to Texas A&M.... very intriguing.

I'm pretty sure I had some of those near my work. I could only find nymphs in the fall so I couldn't ID them. I didn't keep any because I thought they might be pests and didn't have a secure container for them set up. I plan to get a few this year if I see any so I can find out what they are.

There new? I remember reading about them in the U.S. around 1986.

I havent seen any Asian Roaches by me only the German Roaches.

Some articles about them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_cockroach

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG202

Article about them being beneficial

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80106132313.htm

• 4 years later...

Zephyr will have to verify, since I am sending them to him, but I am pretty sure there is a very strong colony of them on campus at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia. They especially like sitting on top of all the english ivy leaves here, under the street lamps. I was catching a few from 8-8:45 but really noticed lots at 9:00PM onward.

I found three of something in Gulf Shores, Alabama earlier this summer, and sent them to Zephyr as well. My best guess was asahinai, but they seemed to exhibit a lot more red color than the pictures I could find online did. I haven;t heard back from him on the matter, so I guess he hasn't determined the exact species yet. One thing though, they did fly very readily. I'm curious, Laura, are the ones you find solid brown, or do they exhibit any red coloration?