Moths in Roach colonies?!

I've found a few dozen moths in my roach colonies, that seem to pupate from a striped worm which my Beardies find very tasty ~

Any ideas what these moths are, and are they a pest?

Cheers! :unsure:

I do not think they are a pest, just enjoy the same living conditions as the roaches. There are a wide variety of "nuisance" bugs that are harmless to roach colonies but thrive in thier enclosures.

They're only a pest if you don't like them. They can be a useful but seasonal feeder. Can you post a photo? I've seen three pest grain moth species in US cultures, the smallest holds it's wings like a triangle and is only around 1/8" across and is rather uncommon. It's wings are dark brown to black with yellow polka dots. The most common pest moth resembles a light-tan, 1/4" cigar and looks like a slightly smaller Plodia interpunctata without banding. The last is the biggest with adults at 2/5-3/4" wingspan and holds it's brown marked wings in a triangle; Pyralis farinalis. photo and short info on P.farinalis

Thanks, guys ~

Orin, Thanks for the link and the detailed info, and I'll try to get a pic, but the little buggers are sooo elusive!... might have to squish one! :lol:

:lol: This is a new one for me! Since when do moths live with roaches?! That's something to go a make a note about. Yummy, facts. ^_^ Also I had no idea that any moth lived with any other insects. Only caterpillars of butterflies but never moths. What do they get from living with roaches?

And what do the roaches get besides a decent amount of food? :lol:

They can be a useful but seasonal feeder.

I rest my case ( see above ). XD But what do the moths get in return besides an early death? XD

Thanks for the links! I shall go and read them very carefully to make sure I don't miss anything important.

th_sau22.jpg.gif

It's not any sort of symbiotic relationship. They don't live with them out in the "wild" either. In our artificial local the roaches don’t get anything out of it but the moths get a good place to live with nice temps/humidity and get a free meal from the roach’s food and what ever else they are eating. Well, maybe the roaches can snack on dead ones…? I used to get them in my tenebrio culture constantly.

:lol: This is a new one for me! Since when do moths live with roaches?! That's something to go a make a note about. Yummy, facts. ^_^ Also I had no idea that any moth lived with any other insects. Only caterpillars of butterflies but never moths. What do they get from living with roaches?

And what do the roaches get besides a decent amount of food? :lol:

I rest my case ( see above ). XD But what do the moths get in return besides an early death? XD

Thanks for the links! I shall go and read them very carefully to make sure I don't miss anything important.

th_sau22.jpg.gif