Intriguing observation! :D Possibly a first?

Yesterday, another one of my female giant cave roaches molted, and by night she was dry. Before I turned off the lights in my room, I noticed a male trying to court her. He only did the thing where the extend their wings and push their butt on the ground once, but he was shaking constantly and rapidly chasing her around. Was the shaking him emitting pheromones? Also, a few minutes after I went to bed, I turned on a dim light checked the tank, and they were copulating. I got a long video of the courting process, and a small video of the mating. I'm sure a few other people have observed this, but am I the first one to actually get it on tape?

I dont know about mating, but some of my B. Giganteus shake like that before they take flight. Sort of like moths/butterflies vibrating there wings I guess to get warm enough to fly on a cool day.

• 1 year later...

id like to see all you got and know on the giant cave roaches, as i got some as false death heads, and am eager to know how to do the best for them. ps. is twnety assorted nymps enough for a decent starter colony to maintain? think itd be good to get twenty to thirty or more if they still have any? they said they were running out, and were tring to get more to sell.

I could be wrong, but I have never seen another video on youtube or anywhere else of cockroaches mating besides mine:

- it would be awesome if you shared the vid! I think there must be something up with freshly molted female roaches, and males going more crazy after them during this time. Often, with many species of roaches I have, there will be a male ready and waiting for several minutes beside the female as she's molting.