feeding response

Has anyone noticed differences in roach feeding response intensity?

I had some fun giving my colony of lobster roaches(with some lateralis and B. dubia mixed in) bottom feeder tablets. One roach would grab it run...and usually run right into a crowd that would start wrestling for it and ultimately result in a huge rolling dogpile.

The lateralis, on the other hand...are so spooky I hardly see them eat. They will grab a small piece of kibble and take off with it.

When I had only dubia they would squabble over food also, but nowhere near as intense as the lobsters.

I tend to grind all of my kibble, so have never seen any roach making off with a pellet, but all of my colonies react differently to food time...

:(P. pallida will approach the gel , carrots and banana whilst I am still adding the kibble

G. portentosa head for the kibble first, but they have a constant water source, that, unlike the gel, doesn't dry up very often

S. lateralis (Or are they still Blatta???) just head for the hills when the bin is opened, and won't eat until I close up...

etc..

I actually had a bit of cruel fun the other day... I grabbed a June bug and pin-pricked a whole into its abdomen, then pinned it to a piece of card board in my lobster enclosure. It was like Jurassic park, except with roaches...

I was actually thinking about that myself. My observation is probably skewed since I have so many more hissers in comparison to my other colonies. One of the smaller colonies of about 15 adults and some nymphs of a roach I have been studying (looks a lot like lats) have a response totally unlike from my hisser's. The hissers all just hang out and munch together; in comparison, these little reed devils steal food from each other and are not very nice. I have seen males that will grab a piece of apple and run off with it and if nymphs or females try to eat at it he will rear up and kick at them with his tibia spines on the last pairs of legs. The females seem to share well with nymphs but are hesitant with other females. On the other hand, I have seen my peppereds eat rarely and they seem to just nibble through the night. I’ve also noticed that my hisser colony will also cycle in the amount of food they eat and it seems to go through a low/high period of about four weeks…I’m not sure if it’s normal or not but it is interesting.

• 2 months later...

My dubias are really skiddish, If I even approach the tank they run for cover and I rarely see more than a few of them feeding at the same time..and It's even rarer to see any males..I haven't had them only a few weeks and haven't even fed any of them off as I want the colony to grow so I'm not sure why they are so afraid of me..is this typical for Dubs?

My dubias are really skiddish, If I even approach the tank they run for cover and I rarely see more than a few of them feeding at the same time..and It's even rarer to see any males..I haven't had them only a few weeks and haven't even fed any of them off as I want the colony to grow so I'm not sure why they are so afraid of me..is this typical for Dubs?

My dubias come out to eat from my fingers, but I generally feed once a week and by the next time I feed them most of the food in the enclosure is gone.