Please help ID this roach

Wood roach- Parcoblatta lata, I think. At least a winged male and a not winged female. Another could be one also but looks kinda like a Blatta lateralis.... is this a trick question? ;) I am not as familiar with domestic roaches as I would like to be.

Wood roaches cannot climb plastic surfaces. I keep them in culture and are non-climbers just like lateralis are. Nymphs are very similar in appearance.

Look here at this one (adult female) and see what you are seeing in the pronotum:

http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1425

These can be found wild in your area, and B.lateralis are not likely to be found there as they have more of a tendancy to dehydrate where you live, and wood roaches can survive longer dry periods.

Wood roaches cannot climb plastic surfaces. I keep them in culture and are non-climbers just like lateralis are. Nymphs are very similar in appearance.

Look here at this one (adult female) and see what you are seeing in the pronotum:

http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1425

These can be found wild in your area, and B.lateralis are not likely to be found there as they have more of a tendancy to dehydrate where you live, and wood roaches can survive longer dry periods.

How odd.

My Parcoblatta can climb! O.O

Adults AND nymphs. They were collected in Tennessee. I have pictures of them in another thread.

:blink:

Huh. Mine (as nymphs) wont climb smooth plastic period. Adult females if really agitated seems like they can but run down for cover. The males can climb the sides when I put my hand in and chase them around, but otherwise are not seen on the sides, just in/around the wood and substrate. Very interesting comparison. BTW- mine were collected in north Texas.

:blink:

Huh. Mine (as nymphs) wont climb smooth plastic period. Adult females if really agitated seems like they can but run down for cover. The males can climb the sides when I put my hand in and chase them around, but otherwise are not seen on the sides, just in/around the wood and substrate. Very interesting comparison. BTW- mine were collected in north Texas.

Perhaps we're seeing the makings of speciation? :P