The measurement of an enthusiast

Hi all. I began to wonder, just what is a "large collection" vs. moderate or small collection. What do you consider to be a large number of species to have? How many people do you think have collections larger that 8 species? 20 species? 50? I think I have a large collection compared to roach keepers, but compared to some other invertebrate keepers I am not so sure.

OR you can answer: How many species do you think are in the hobby today of: a) roaches and b)overall invertebrates.

I would it say it depends on your outlook of enthusiast. I mean 95% of people that own cockroaches have one species of feeder or hisser. Compared to Orin my four species make me feel substandard. To most "average" people having one species is weird and having a collection of two different species of icky cockroach is insane. Oh well, I don't feel I need to have the title of a large collection (Insert male compensation joke here of your choice). I think the same line goes to other inverts, having three species of tarantula to most is kind of impressive but to Kelly Swift anything under 20+ isn't a collection but a small sampler pack. Interesting thoughts.

*crys over three species* I think I'm in agreement with Zephyr, 20+ species sure seems like a lot. But for overall invertebrates, that's nothing. For roaches in the hobby, maybe 50 or so species. I can't even count all the tarantulas alone, so I have no clue on the number of invertebrates. Good thread idea, by the way.

I've got 13 species, and cave crickets, no other animals.

My girlfriend has got a cat and he demands more work and certainly more money than the roaches. I guess 59 different species is still ok, more species is a bit over the top. :lol:;)

" I've got 13 species, and cave crickets, no other animals.

My girlfriend has got a cat and he demands more work and certainly more money than the roaches. I guess 59 different species is still ok, more species is a bit over the top. laugh.gif wink.gif"

Nothing wrong with 13 species. Just think, some people keep 50 or so cats in their house. Even when I was totally anti-roach I'd rather go in a house with 5000 roaches than 50 cats, and I actually like cats. I'm up to 3 species (roaches that is) and assorted T's, isopods, dogs, snakes, lizards, indoor and outdoor fish, chinchillas and a small herd of rabbits.

" I've got 13 species, and cave crickets, no other animals.

My girlfriend has got a cat and he demands more work and certainly more money than the roaches. I guess 59 different species is still ok, more species is a bit over the top. laugh.gif wink.gif"

Nothing wrong with 13 species. Just think, some people keep 50 or so cats in their house. Even when I was totally anti-roach I'd rather go in a house with 5000 roaches than 50 cats, and I actually like cats. I'm up to 3 species (roaches that is) and assorted T's, isopods, dogs, snakes, lizards, indoor and outdoor fish, chinchillas and a small herd of rabbits.

3 species here but I want a few more... My wife thinks 3 species is WAY to many though.