Help with a roach ID.

Caught this roach outside my house the other night and I can't seem to be able to figure out what species it is. Location is central California, if that helps

roach.jpg

Looks almost like B. Orientalis, but the Orientals don't have those white markings on their thorax. =/

They do not survive outdoors in the central / southern area of the United States either (Texas).

Are you sure about that? I caught a bunch outside, and I know a guy who caught a bunch outside in Arizona. I usually see them out at night running around on the porch. I caught this one on my front porch, and a bunch of juveniles in a pile of dead weeds out on the back patio.

Edit: Just caught a few more under a stepping stone at my girlfriend's house. :) Huzzah for free feeders. lol

I’ve found some in southern Utah. Pretty sure that's what they are, haven't found a diagram yet to do a genitalia dissection though (if anybody knows where to find one…). If anybody wants to do a dissection PM me and I’ll send you some specimens.

They do not survive outdoors in the central / southern area of the United States either (Texas).

Diapause is a correct term. What I know is that with the climate being so variable throughout the USA, I can say that in northern Texas, if B.lateralis get out of the tub they are in they will be found dead shortly thereafter in the room. Leaving some in a bucket outside with food and water, they too also died. Whether it is the temps or humidity, who can say. I have worked with several species in outdoor enclosures to estimate thier pest-status in my area, and B. lateralis would not be one here. That is not to say it would be so anywhere else, as I have heard of species that dont live here doing very well in other states outside.

By the way, the ones that survive the best out doors here are Periplaneta sp. :(

Matt, isn't pest status not usually based on which ones survive outside, but which ones can survive and thrive in a house?

"Pest status" usually indicates that it can survive anwhere within a home and be able to travel to and infest another location. Hence it should be able to survive indoors without special consideration AND outdoors in at least one of the four seasons. It is possible to get infestations of some roach species in some homes that can't survive the outdoors in some areas, and while this makes them a pest in the home they are not shown as a "pest species" per se on any list you can find on the web.

A good example is B. germanica. We all know it does fine indoors almost anywhere, but in my area it is not found outside during the winter or summer, just in the spring and the fall. My group that went outside here for the summer has already died off and they were in a sheltered location. In contrast, Periplaneta fuliginosa in the same locations is growing faster and more motile than the colony I keep indoors.