Gerbers Organic Baby Food

IguanaMama

Does anyone else use babyfood? I sometimes get too busy or lazy to get to the organic market. In a pinch, pouring gerber's organic harvest apple/sweetpotato or blueberry/pear or carrot into a shallow dish seems like a good idea. Any thoughts? Sometimes I just throw some organic nutty health bread in too. Cereal flakes yum! I'm also raising three little human boys practically by myself, there's only so much time I can spend preparing food for cockroaches. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

i feed my roaches once a week in a thorough, tank to tank checkup, tossing out old food, dead roaches/cleaning whatever i can and i usually throw in lettuce, kibbles and bits, and bread. during the week i'll usually throw in whatever scraps of food i'm not eating, ie apples, grapes, strawberries that are no longer fit for human consumption, plus the end piece of melons/watermelons, candy bars, apple sauce, whatever. They seem to appreciate the variety but i'd say the best bet is romaine lettuce. as the staple.

For a long while I had a lizard that I inherited with no desire to eat. I piped in baby food and after two years he had gained plenty of body weight, and never ate a bug. Sometimes the opened jar might sit in the fridge a few days and rather than feed potentially spoiled food to the lizard (very long story), I tossed the whole jar and lid separate into a tub of E.posticus. Couple of days I would have a clean jar (no paper label even) and a clean lid. No trace it was ever used! (Though I threw it away....it just looked like it had been washed and auto-claved)...

• 5 years later...

So what's the verdict?....Can organic babyfood be used instead of fresh fruit with the same benefits?

I think fresh fruit still has more important nutrients, but substituting with baby food once in a while can be great and convenient. My dubia love banana orange medley, and ham pineapple, also applesauce and sweet potato. Turkey or chicken flavors too just make sure no lemon, garlic, or onion.

• 2 months later...

What's much easier and less expensive is Tropical Fish Flakes. When I had crickets, a pet shop boy told me the flakes had all the nutritiion they needed. So I just give my German roaches those and also Fluker's Cricket Vitamin supplement. It's a brown powder. Roaches and crickets are related so I would assume that their dietary needs are similar. Plus the flakes and powder won't spoil and get moldy like fresh food does. There is also Fluker's Cricket Quencher Water Gell which is much easier and safer to give them water. Easier than cotton balls and safer than a saucer of water. My Blabberous Discoidus seemed to do pretty well with this dry diet as well as my German. However, since there are so many different types of roaches, I suggest each person do some research on their species' needs first.