Is Burlap Dangerous?

I read that burlap is made of jute plants. Anyway, I was considering using it to make something for my Blaberus sp. Honduras to climb on so they can molt better and possibly get moisture from when I spray. Also I want to get some bark roaches this year and thought it might work for them as well.

I bought some and have it outside on the clothesline, letting the rain clean it out for now.

Anyone know if it is safe? I remember ordering dubia roaches about 10 years ago that were shipped in a burlap bag in a box. But that wasn't long term exposure.

31 minutes ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I got some species in a burlap bag a long time ago and they arrived fine so it can't be too harmful.

Thanks!!

I'm going to test it out on some in a separate tub. I'll choose some large nymphs and see if they make it to adulthood. 

• 2 weeks later...

Set up my 90 gallon aquarium again for roaches. I'm debating moving the Blaberus sp. Honduras in here or I may put the bark roaches in there when I get them. I'd really like to put the Psuedoglomerus magnifica in there but those guys climb too well and I'd be stressed over them escaping.

There is some mold doing it's thing on the palm tree frond pieces and oak logs that are in there but it'll help decompose the oak for the roaches that I have that eat it.

IMG_20240205_102050967~2.jpg

On 2/8/2024 at 5:08 PM, WarrenB said:

Liking the progress. I was thinking of using coir matting for something similar, might have to make it stand up too!

I think I'm going to order some coir mat now! Great idea :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 10:28 AM, Bhjjr said:

There is some mold doing it's thing on the palm tree frond pieces and oak logs that are in there but it'll help decompose the oak for the roaches that I have that eat it.

I've been listening to the past Roach crossing streams and I know now that I don't know much about molds. Could be ok, might not. Don't know how to find out either. I'll have to search the forums.