Increasingly fascinated by roaches

OBJ

Dear forum members,

Greetings from Denmark by an amateur roach snoop trying to sneak into your ranks!

After having started like most by using roaches as food mainly for the spiders, mainly tarantulas, it has been inavoidable not to fall for the many sides to the roaches.

So now I am housing 8 species and before considering more you can expect to be looked over your shoulders and get a few questions from time to time....

I am a member of the danish association "Exotiske Insekter" [=exotic insects] with danish language forum on Exotiske Insekter, EI publishes 6 issues a year of our magazine EI-News - unfortunately in danish. Besides this I am a subscriber of Invertebrates Magazine. Lukily I-M has articles on roaches regularly...

Looking forward to spending time on this exiting forum and you all! :)

The best regards

Ole Bjerggaard [OBJ]

Hello Ole,

Some of us in the US are familiar with EI. I had some photos published in it about 7 years ago (Mantispidae). I'm sure Orin can say the same and has maybe contributed some articles too.

My fascination with roaches is always growing too. Last night, I enjoyed watching some B. giganteus come swarming out from their hiding places over some chopped up carrots I put in their food bowl. It's amazing how they are able to sense the food in a way that many of my other bugs cannot.

Welcome to the forum!

Some of us in the US are familiar with EI. I had some photos published in it about 7 years ago (Mantispidae). I'm sure Orin can say the same and has maybe contributed some articles too.

Thank you for the Welcome.

Yes, your photos were published in april 2002 [No. 31] in an article about Mantispidae by Tom Larsen, EI's chairman. The captions said the species was unknown, but since you have the original photos and the article was in B&W at the time, you could check it up against either Leptomantispa pulchella (mainly western part of US) or Dicromantispa interrupta (which is larger and from northeast of US). Just a suggestion.

Orin has delivered materials over the years and is very well known to the danish readers.

Actually, articles from the magazine "Exotiske Insekter" was translated into english and published under the name "Invertebrate", starting in 2002, but unfortunately the interest was too little. A pity because also material from the german entomologists found its way into the pages - and they are quite enthusiastic as well!

A personal question: Your name sounds strikingly danish - is that just a coincidence or ... ??

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my great grandparents (paternal) came over to the US from Shleswig-holstein and settled in South Dakota.

I collected the mantispid specimen in Arizona, USA (Western). Thank you for the follow up info!

Tom sent me a few copies of the magazine when I shared the photos. I think hobby magazines are the most wonderful part of our hobby. Orin's "Invertebrates Magazine" is very special to the US hobby.