Hmmmm this doesn't look like a Dubia

Hello everyone,

I am new to the hobby and am enjoying it very much. I was cleaning my colony of Dubia when I saw this little, or shal I say not so little, roach. What is it?

It is much wider and as long as or longer than any dubia I have. I will try to get a pic(im at work now)of her next to a dubia for comparison.

Thanks

buddylee79

post-632-1232454979_thumb.jpg

It's a dubia. It looks like it just molted. Give it a few hours, it'll darken up and start looking more like a dubia

I was thinking that, after i got excited....the shape seems very different, much rounder and wider compared to the other dubias. Like I said I'm new, Is there alot of variety in adult shape? The adult females I have so far are all pretty much almond shape, how much and how do they vary?

I was thinking that, after i got excited....the shape seems very different, much rounder and wider compared to the other dubias. Like I said I'm new, Is there alot of variety in adult shape? The adult females I have so far are all pretty much almond shape, how much and how do they vary?

When most roaches molt, they have two things you are seeing here:

They are lighter or more vibrant in color for a day or a few.

They are shorter and wider, as they grow within thier hardened exoskeleton it stretches out longways making them appear long and fat....until they pop out and are short and wide again.

When most roaches molt, they have two things you are seeing here:

They are lighter or more vibrant in color for a day or a few.

They are shorter and wider, as they grow within thier hardened exoskeleton it stretches out longways making them appear long and fat....until they pop out and are short and wide again.

That explains everything.....Well I guess we all know how new I am. Thanks for the information. I have seen freshly molted and in the process of but never in that state. Well one question down a million to go.