Roaches-The New Frontier

Hello everyone. I thought I would post a brief introduction. Always loved animals and despised roaches. Grew up in a roach motel, but then again they were German cockroaches which are somehow totally disgusting to me. I got into frogs and tarantulas recently and found that not all roaches are disgusting. I actually think quite a few of them are beautiful. I'd have to say so far Panchlora Nivea and whatever that one with the two white spots on the back of its head is are my favorites. Do tell me if you know what this one is.

I'm also an amateur insect breeder looking to branch out into discoids so advice is always welcome. There aren't any local discoid breeders and most roaches are illegal here so I feel good about my chances.

To sum it up, I'm definitly animal crazy and recently a little roach crazy.

Mikhail

Congratulations on your "conversion"! The roach with the white spots is probably a Lucihormetica species. Where do you live where most roaches are illegal? That's terrible! :(

I live in Florida. I haven't explored the legalitites on all species but I know that lobster, B. Dubia, E. Prosticus and quite a few others are illegal. Thank god that Discoidalis isn't as I think it will be a fair feeder, and I might get some Panchlora Nivea as pets as they have also been naturalized.

I think the legal issue stems from the fact that Florida could be considered a tropical climate where they could live. That's really only true of southern Florida though. I'm in Pensacola up at the top, and I've seen it hit twenties at night. Not that I'm an expert but I've always heard they wouldn't survive those temps. Oh, well I guess it is better for them to err on the side of caution for the environment.

Not that anyone would notice if I brought some of these in, but one of my pleasures is taking a few animals and making them into many. It's hard to market illegal bugs with all those super secret squirrel agents from the fish and wildlife Agriculture department. lol

So after mealworms, crickets, and roach breeding I'm off to do Argentine Horned Frogs, Parakeets and in a few years tarantulas.

Oh, I see. I knew hissers were illegal there... That's why I plan to live in Georgia! :lol: You do have a chance of finding wild Blaberus craniifer, a very cool species about 2 inches with deep black wings. There are also Panchlora species too.

Actually, B. craniifer might be restricted to southern Florida. Oops.

Well if Crannifer was restricted to South Florida, I guess it's possible that you could own them in North Florida, as the dept. of Agriculture is a statewide organization and I'm not sure they delineate species boundaries at county lines. I'll check on that one.

I do agree on the Panchlora, pretty little things. They are appropriately sized for my feeding needs, but I think I find them too pretty for that, not to mention they climb and fly. I think if I ever get into the hobby I'll get a Lucihormetica subcinta or something similiar. I just started looking at all the images online of them and they are so interesting. I find their color arrangements pretty. I mean if you showed them to an ordinary person they would never identify it as a roach. I like that. The shift in their colors from nymph to adulthood is also interesting

I live in Florida. I haven't explored the legalitites on all species but I know that lobster...

The lobster roach, Nauphoeta cinerea has been naturalized in Florida (maybe for a few hundred years) and most or all the feeder/hobby stock originally was collected in Florida. Hemiblabera tenebricosa is a nice big species similar to Blaberus that is a natural resident of the FL Keys.

You'll have to explain that to the department of fish and wildlife and the agriculture department. They told me it was a no go. I'll check back with them. I guess they could be mistaken. I'll give them another ring.

I have a local source for lobster roaches so maybe I'll raise them too.