What is this millipede?

buddylee79

Hello everyone,

I went fishing this afternoon and when jumping over a fallen tree, I lost my bait. Looking under rotting logs found these little beauties. What are they and are they easily kept? I live in southern Wisconsin.

DSC01063.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

sorry the pics arent the greatest.

bud

I think it's an Apheloria sp. At least one member of the genus produces smallish amounts of hydrogen cyanide as a defense method. They should be pretty easy to keep, try it like other millipedes.

I think it's an Apheloria sp. At least one member of the genus produces smallish amounts of hydrogen cyanide as a defense method. They should be pretty easy to keep, try it like other millipedes.

Thanks Ralph,

Well....I have never kept millipedes, so I only know what I can find online. Any advice?

Definitely an Apheloria sp. I used to have an Apheloria Tigana, but this one doesnt look like it has enough yellow on it.

Just keep them moist, give them some dried oak leaf litter to eat/hide in. They'll also munch on the leaves. They will also eat leafy greens and carrots in my experience.

Definitely an Apheloria sp. I used to have an Apheloria Tigana, but this one doesnt look like it has enough yellow on it.

Just keep them moist, give them some dried oak leaf litter to eat/hide in. They'll also munch on the leaves. They will also eat leafy greens and carrots in my experience.

Thanks, I am going to go back and try to find a few more tonight. How easily do they breed? Why not try right, They are fun to observe.

bud