Species - specific parasites?

Huntsman

Which of the following species have species - specific parasites, and what is the ramifications when using them as feeders?

E. chopardi

G. portentosa

B. dubia

Thank you.

That is a very interesting question. Could you elaborate as to what the roaches would be fed to? I would assume that a parasite surviving in a roach may have more or less meaning to a tarantula, a lizard, or a bird.

That is a very interesting question. Could you elaborate as to what the roaches would be fed to? I would assume that a parasite surviving in a roach may have more or less meaning to a tarantula, a lizard, or a bird.

It's a general question, posed by several of my customers, who feed roaches to all manner of herps.

Could you tell me which has species-specific parasites?

It's a general question, posed by several of my customers, who feed roaches to all manner of herps.

Orin-? this is a great one for you to take. I don't have a good answer. If any of my colonies have species specific parasites I have seen no evidence of it. Will check through some of my notes to see if I have any answer for this....

If the question is about feeders you'd want know about non-specific parasites as species-specific parasites would be harmless to anything else. These roaches have been in captivity so long they really shouldn't have any parasites. Do they understand these roaches have been in captivity for dozens to hundreds of generations longer than any of their herps?

If the question is about feeders you'd want know about non-specific parasites as species-specific parasites would be harmless to anything else. These roaches have been in captivity so long they really shouldn't have any parasites. Do they understand these roaches have been in captivity for dozens to hundreds of generations longer than any of their herps?

I think the concern is that he has spotted parasites on several of the roaches and wants to know if there is anything to be concerned about. He possibly feels that if they're host - specific there is probably nothing to worry about.

I haven't seen them myself, as these were posted to him in another city...

Are these species known for having host - specific or casual parasites?

So if he’s seen the parasites I’m guessing he’s referring to some sort of ectoparasite. The only ones I know of that get into captive cultures are mites that aren’t really parasites. Grain mites just hitch a ride on the ‘roach and the symbiotic mites only live on one or a few species of ‘roach. There isn’t an ectoparasite that goes from ‘roach to reptile. Some internal parasites might go from insect to herp but they most likely are not in ‘roach cultures unless they are wild caught, as Orin stated. I have to say I’ve seen more reptiles with parasites in captivity (and in the wild) than insects. Cockroaches are pretty clean animals, there’s no need to be paranoid they will make something sick if you feed it to your lizard, snake, turtle, tarantula, mantid, dog, gullible friend... :rolleyes: