ID?

Zephyr

Looks like you've got a few strays in a group of mostly P. americana.

Maybe a combination of American cockroach and the Smokey Brown cockroach? (P.americana and P. fuliginosa) ?

:blink:

Do you think that most of the nymphs are P. americana, or is there a good mix of the two there?

There is no real way to tell from a photo as the nymphs of the two are very similar looking. In some cultures on or both may exhibit some spots, but they may not. I have P. fuliginosa that have spots on thier backs, but have seen wild ones that do not (and vice versa). I also have P.americana that nymphs have a couple of spots on thier backs when small but become more like those pictured as they get larger. I really dont know what causes the spots (food, rate of growth, temps, ???) to appear sometimes and not others.

So if you gathered some of those your only way to segregate them is to separate as they become mature adults (then its obvious).

Anyone else know of something to add ???

Thing really to add but I'd be interested as to where and what the spots looks like in your culture MattK.

I will try to get a photo- those are hard to get pics of- but you can see in Zephyrs photo the same spots in the two segments behind the pronotum there are two yellow-ish areas that can be more or less prominant (in this photo they are somewhat less prominant). That's what I am referring to as "spots".

Ah, I see now. The light areas on the meso/metathoracic areas. Does it appear to lead to differences in adult coloration at all?

No. variations in the nymphs "spots" do not seem to have any relation to the adult colors from my experience.

Hmmm... That's an interesting observation.

Well I have tried to get a clear photo and only wound up with some Periplaneta runnign around a room so full of cages there is hardly room for me to stand in there....so it took a good while to re-collect them and/or destroy them (loose ones) ...nothing but well blurred photos thus far. Hang in there this may take a while... ;)