feeding dishes

desana

this may sound like a stupid question but i was just wadering if everyone used dishes to put their roach food in as for some unknown reason mine wont go in the dish would it be ok to put it in one corner of the tub for em cheers. im keeping b. lateralis....thanks for any replies...

this may sound like a stupid question but i was just wadering if everyone used dishes to put their roach food in as for some unknown reason mine wont go in the dish would it be ok to put it in one corner of the tub for em cheers. im keeping b. lateralis....thanks for any replies...

they may not be able to get into it because of smooth surfaces. I used sand paper to ruff mine up so my roaches could climb them.

I just use lids off of cheap tupperware containers. Like ones where you get 3-6 per pack for just a few bucks. They usually have a rim which will keep food from falling out but yet it isn't to tall for them to get into. If a lot of food is going to be applied then you just mound it up on there.

Kevin

I've been going back and forth with this one for a while now. In my tubs with no substrate I just put the food in one front corner and I put water gel crystals in a mayonnaise lid on the other. Fruit and veggies go in the middle. The main thing is to keep your dry food dry, or it will get moldy quick.

In my substrate tubs, I've been using James' technique and using sand paper to rough up the sides, inside and out, of a deeper container. I've been using those little water cups that come with dog crates. Keeps the food out of the substrate and the substrate out of the food. I bury them about half way and so far it seems to be working.

Do you keep your lats on substrate? Mine are not and they seem to be taking a long time to start producing babies. I've been wondering if that's my problem.

I take a knife and cut the bottom inch and a half off a plastic drink cup. They're cheap (or free if you pick a few up after they've been tossed out, you may get weird looks though) so it you have food that goes moldy you don't have to bother getting all the nasty food stuck to the bottom out. You can just chuck it and go for a new one; plus, the 'roaches won't try and eat the cup.

I take a knife and cut the bottom inch and a half off a plastic drink cup. They're cheap (or free if you pick a few up after they've been tossed out, you may get weird looks though)

The weird looks go away after you mention you're dumpster diving on behalf of your pet cockroaches (because the people go away...quickly!).

they may not be able to get into it because of smooth surfaces. I used sand paper to ruff mine up so my roaches could climb them.

We have had that problem in the past, masking tape running from top to bottom works as well. Pretty much any type of paper cup will work but we also use small "tupperware" bowls (1/2 cup). You can use the lids as well.