ID

bugs

Hi,

I am new to the forum and thought I would ask ID on a couple roaches. Sorry for the bad pics, these guys are fast, and we have them in a 90 gallon terrarium - so not easy to catch either :) .

The orange one hates light, and runs like crazy as soon as a light comes on.

The brown one caught my interest as at first I thought it was a nymph of the hissing roach that we have in there. But I was corrected :) , it is not. Two of these roaches have been spending their time in very close proximity to our hissing roach - and these do not run in the light. They will run when disturbed, but not when light comes on.

Both of these were caught in the wild - most likely hatched from one of the many oothecas that we had dropped in there. My 4 year old loves bug hunting, so we do it quite often. Hence not sure where these were caught - somewhere between NC and TX :) .

Thanks,

Dan

id2

id2

id2

post-1100-1266131948_thumb.jpg

post-1100-1266131963_thumb.jpg

post-1100-1266131975_thumb.jpg

The coloration on the first one is really interesting. I would say it's a male nymph of Periplaneta or (probably) Parcoblatta. Are the last two photos the same roach? The second looks like a Parcoblatta sp. nymph, whereas the third looks like an adult female.

We've had a lot of Parcoblatta keepers lately!

I'd agree with Ralph, the first is a Periplaneta sp. (I’d guess americana?) and the last two are Parcoblatta sp. We'd probably need good adult pictures to get a species name.

Neat though, are you going to keep them?

Thanks. That helps. My 4 year old and 3 year old love insects - so a few months back we setup a terrarium, and now whenever we go bug hunting, everything goes in there :) . Aside of the hissing roach, all the rest we have picked up in different parks / forests, etc. I would say there are about 7 different roach species in there now :) . I am attaching a few more pictures - but not very clear, as they are difficult to picture when inside the terrarium. The roaches caught our interest, as the gray species keeps very close with the hissing roach - we wrongly thought it was a young hissing roach.

We keep all the little things we catch, my 4 year old says it's their new home :) .

post-1100-1266384726_thumb.jpg

post-1100-1266384738_thumb.jpg

post-1100-1266384984_thumb.jpg

The coloration on the first one is really interesting. I would say it's a male nymph of Periplaneta or (probably) Parcoblatta. Are the last two photos the same roach? The second looks like a Parcoblatta sp. nymph, whereas the third looks like an adult female.

We've had a lot of Parcoblatta keepers lately!

Thanks. The two photos of the orange one are the same insect. The orange one looks like the one on this page: www.srs.fs.usda.gov/news/112 . Makes sense too, as I remember picking up ootheca from under dead wood bark in NC. Interestingly, this one is very sensitive to light, but the gray one is indifferent to light. Won''t run off when light is turned on.

Those next three are more Parcoblatta. Can't tell what species for the middle guy, but the first and third look like a subadult P. pennsylvanica.

Mixed-species terrariums are always a fun experiment. I've got one filled every summer with the random lil' bugs I find. It'll probably be best to separate them by species if you plan on breeding 'em.

Young hissers are almost completely ovoid, matte black, with short legs and an exposed head. I'm sure there's some pics in the photo section.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I am new to the forum and thought I would ask ID on a couple roaches. Sorry for the bad pics, these guys are fast, and we have them in a 90 gallon terrarium - so not easy to catch either smile.gif .

The orange one hates light, and runs like crazy as soon as a light comes on.

The brown one caught my interest as at first I thought it was a nymph of the hissing roach that we have in there. But I was corrected smile.gif , it is not. Two of these roaches have been spending their time in very close proximity to our hissing roach - and these do not run in the light. They will run when disturbed, but not when light comes on.

Both of these were caught in the wild - most likely hatched from one of the many oothecas that we had dropped in there. My 4 year old loves bug hunting, so we do it quite often. Hence not sure where these were caught - somewhere between NC and TX smile.gif .

Thanks,

Dan

id2

id2

id2

First is P. divisa, last two are probably P. virginica